Subject: Re: (i18n 34) Re(2): 10646 Advantages

From: Dominic Dunlop <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 90 10:55:31 GMT

[From "(i18n 34) Re(2): 10646 Advantages" dated Dec  7]
> * >   Our work has been based primarily on encodings without the
> * >   non-spacing diacritics (accents) of Unicode.  If it turns out that
> * >   we can't accommodate these, we'll think again: the ability to
> * >   handle Unicode is at the very least an important proof of concept
> * >   for us.[ ... ]
> 
> Support of multi-character colating elements are mandatory. Thus the
> localedef format has handled this from the beginning. Whether or not it
> is useful as "proof of concept" for Unicode, it is necessary to support
> the ISO codeset 6937. Used in Siemens mainframes and the French minitel
> (of which there are approximately 5 million in use in France today).

Yes.  I realised this, and that the current mechanisms can accomodate
multi-character collating elements shortly after (figuratively) pressing
the ``send'' key.  I knew somebody would correct my omission sooner or
later.  Thanks, Matt.

-- 
Dominic Dunlop