Subject: Re: (SC22WG14.4856) RE: Transliteration [and transcription]

From: [email-masked] (John Clews)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:42:58 GMT

Douglas A. Gwyn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I must have missed something; why is this "transliteration" discussion
> being conducted on [email-masked]?  Is there some C standards issue
> involved?

There might be, although nobody seems to have discussed this point.

I'm initially to blame: I sent an announcement regarding
transliteration standards and internationalization
to lists that Keld Simonsen and Alain La Bonte had identified
as lists with an interest in internationalization.
These lists included [email-masked].

Somebody "group replied" this with a discussion on certain issues
relating to transliateration and transcription, and it carried on
thus. I had not antipated any such discussion on this, although some
useful contacts had been made as a result: after all the announcement
said that there was a [email-masked] email discussion list
specifically on transliteration.

I am now ensuring that any future discussions on this do not include
[email-masked].

                                   Yours sincerely

                                     John Clews
--
Chair of ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages;
Member of CEN/TC304: Character Set Technology;
Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC2: Character Sets.

SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Road, Harrogate, HG2 7PG, England
Email: [email-masked];        tel: +44 (0) 1423 888 432