Subject: Script codes (was: Re: Transliteration standards: possible impact on internationalization)

From: [email-masked] (John Clews)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:48:13 GMT

Script codes (was: Re: Transliteration standards: possible impact on
internationalization)

Harald.T Alvestrand wrote:

> Eh.....what kind of language would you characterize French transliterated
> into Hebrew as?
> Is there a difference between Hebrew transliterated into French and
> Hebrew transliterated into English?
> In Serbian text transliterated between cyrillic and Latin script, which
> one (if any) is the transliteration?
> 
> Or are you really talking about SCRIPT tags?
> (Michael Everson had some ideas on script tags years ago....)

Script codes is now an active project within ISO/TC46/SC2/WG8:
Transliteration and computers. This work item was approved in a
resolution at the Plenary meeting of ISO/TC46/SC2 in May 1997, and
confirmed by ISO Central Secretariat later in 1997, as
ISO NP 15924: Codes for the representation of names of scripts.
Michael Everson <[email-masked]> is project leader for
ISO NP 15924.

An almost identical document to the ISO/TC46/SC2 document, which I
guess is also likely to form the initial Committee Draft for ISO CD
15924, is also under vote among ISO/TC37/SC2 members.

ISO/TC37/SC2 and ISO/TC46/SC2 are considering practical ways of
working together on this issue, just as they have done on
ISO 639 - Codes for the representation of names of languages.

Please contact us for further information.

                             Yours sincerely

                     John Clews and Evangelos Melagrakis

(Chair & Secretary of ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages)

--
J. Clews, SESAME, 8 Avenue Road, Harrogate, HG2 7PG, England
Email: [email-masked];   tel: +44 (0) 1423 888 432

E. Melagrakis, ELOT, 313 Acharnon Str., GR-111 45 Athens, Greece
Email: [email-masked]                           tel: +30 1 201 9890