Subject: Transliteration

From: Carrasco Benitez Manuel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:00:18 -0000

1) Transliteration has to addressed.

2) Considering transliteration as language variation is easy from a
computer point of view: no new mechanisms are needed.

3) The comprehensive coding on languages is another problem.

4) Three parameters are needed to code transliteration:

      4.1) Translit : A code to indicate transliteration.
      4.2) Source : A language code in a language system.  For example,
"el" for Greek in ISO 639.
      4.3) Target  : A language code in a language system.  For example,
"fr" for French in  ISO 639.

5)  In an evolution of RFC 1766 could be: t-el-fr

     where:
      t   =  Translit.
      el  = Source.
      fr  = Target.

6) If RFC 1766 moves to a more comprehensive language code system, the
transliteration could follow.

7) Script is only one of the factors.  For example:
    Papadopoulos : Greek transliteration into French.   Uses the Latin
script.
    Papadopulos   : Greek transliteration into Spanish.  Uses the Latin
script. 

Regards
Tomas