Subject: RE: Latin 0 current proposal and ISO/IEC 9995-3 international

From: Alain LaBonté - 2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 10:45:08 -0500

A 08:55 16/11/97 -0600, Hohberger, Clive P. a écrit :
>Alain:
>Maybe I missed part of the conversation, but at the meeting last week of
>ISO/IEC JTC1/WG5 was any decision or proposal made regarding the
>position of the Euro sign in other ISO 8859 character sets, most
>particularly 8859/1 on which most barcodes are based?
>Best regards,
>Clive :-)}

[Alain] :
This JTC1/WG5 just deals with keyboard layouts, fortunately (;

This is orthogonal to coding. The position of the EURO SIGN according to
ISO/IEC 9995-3 keyboard shall not vary, whatever the code used under the
hood (:

This code can be (and actually in Canadian implementations, multiple coding
is used without affecting the user interface) ISO/IEC 8859-1, -15, etc., or
IBM 850, ISO/IEC 6937, the Mac proprietary code or UNICODE, or anything
else. The keyboard layout does not care and I think that this decoupling is
wise.

I hope it answers your question.

Regards.

Alain LaBonté
Cairo