Subject: Latin 0 current proposal and ISO/IEC 9995-3 international keyboard standard

From: Alain LaBonté - 2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 06:09:56 -0500

A 11:27 14/11/97 -0800, Ienup Sung a écrit :
>Thanks for the info. Would you please enlighten me whether there will be
>any change in the code positions, esp. Euro?
>
>So far it looks like Euro, <Y¨>, <oe> and <OE> will take the positions of
>¤, '¨', '´' and '¸', respectively, at the ISO 8859-15.
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Ienup

[Alain] :
No change is likely to occur except for the EURO SIGN, which will most
probably come back to the original proposal (it was then replacing the
CURRENCY SIGN). The current proposal abstract is (I added for you a note
between parenthseis for 11/01):

10/08 LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CARON (LETTRE MINUSCULE LATINE S CARON)
11/01 (** change likely to 10/04 **) EURO SIGN (SYMBOLE EURO) 
11/04 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH CARON (LETTRE MAJUSCULE LATINE Z CARON)
11/08 LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CARON (LETTRE MINUSCULE LATINE Z CARON)
11/12 LATIN CAPITAL LIGATURE OE (DIGRAMME SOUDÉ MAJUSCULE LATIN OE)
11/13 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE OE (DIGRAMME SOUDÉ MINUSCULE LATIN OE)
11/14 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH DIAERESIS (LETTRE MAJUSCULE LATINE Y TRÉMA)

Btw the meeting last week of ISO/IEC JTC1/WG5 (ex-JTC1/SC18/WG9) in
Cupertino, dealing with keyboards, also recommended that the CURRENCY
SYMBOL key position in ISO/IEC 9995-3 international keyboard be changed to
EURO SIGN as well (it means that those choosing to implement exact Latin 0
for the EURO SIGN and which were already supporting the ISO/IEC 9995-3
keyboard for exact Latin 1 would not even have a change to do, as far as
coding is concerned (font is another matter, of course).

The CURRENCY SYMBOL is recommended to be moved in the international
keyboard on level 3 of the same key where it was in level 2 in the current
keyboard standard (i.e on the same key as digit 4, in international "group
2"; (so far there was *no* character in level 3 of this international
group). As an editor, I've been instructed to revise a PDAM to ISO/IEC
9995-3 which I had already prepared concerning the EURO SIGN issue on
keyboards and take measures to initiate an international ballot on this
slight change of the international keyboard standard. Contrary to my
initial proposal, JTC1/WG5 will *not* make recommendations regarding
national keyboard layouts (only on the international keyboard standard
ISO/IEC 9995-3). Consensus was reached on this issue to the satisfaction of
all parties.

Alain LaBonté
Cairo