Subject: Call for Papers - 11th Unicode Conference - September 1997, California

From: Misha Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 15:07:50 +0000 (GMT)

C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S
                    *******************************

              Eleventh International Unicode Conference
                                  and
                       Global Computing Showcase

   Software Development + the Internet: Going Global with Unicode(R)

                          September 3-5, 1997

                         San Jose, California

**********************************************************************

With the Internet comes change: businesses world-wide expect accurate 
access to text, independent of location or language.  Users demand 
software that runs everywhere.  To meet these needs requires global 
computing.  The Eleventh International Unicode Conference will address 
all issues and topics relating to global computing with Unicode.

Conference attendees will include managers, software engineers, 
systems analysts, and product marketing personnel responsible for the 
development of software supporting Unicode/ISO 10646 as well as those 
involved in all aspects of the globalization of software and the 
Internet.

SPONSORS
   Microsoft Corporation
   Netscape Communications Corporation
   Reuters Limited
   W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

WEB SITES
   <http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc11>
   <http://www.unicode.org>

DEADLINES
   Submissions due:          18 April 1997
   Notification date:        9 May 1997
   Camera ready papers due:  6 June 1997

THEME & TOPICS

Global computing with Unicode is the overall theme of the Conference.  
Presentations should be geared towards a technical audience.  
Suggested topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- The Internet and Unicode 
- The World Wide Web (WWW) and Unicode 
- Java and Unicode 
- Character set issues on the Internet and WWW 
- Metadata and Unicode 
- Web search engines and Unicode 
- Library and archival concerns 
- Unicode in UNIX 
- Unicode in databases 
- Unicode in large scale networks 
- The results of using Unicode applications (case studies, solutions) 
- Business topics and market forecasts 
- Language processing issues with Unicode data 
- Migrating legacy applications to Unicode 
- Cross platform issues 
- Compression of Unicode data 
- Testing Unicode applications 
- Usability evaluations of Unicode applications 

SESSIONS

The Conference Program will provide a wide range of sessions 
including:
- Keynote presentations
- Technical presentations
- Panel sessions
- Open discussion sessions 
- Workshops/Tutorials

All sessions except the Workshops/Tutorials will be of 40 minute 
duration.  In some cases, two consecutive 40 minute program slots may 
be devoted to a single session.

The Workshops/Tutorials will each last three hours.  They should be 
designed to stimulate discussion and participation, using slides and 
demonstrations.

PUBLICITY

If your paper is accepted, your details will be included in the 
Conference brochure and Web pages and the paper itself will appear in 
the book of Conference Proceedings.

SUBMISSIONS

Submissions must contain:

1  An abstract of 150-250 words, consisting of statement of purpose, 
   paper description, and your conclusions or final summary

2  A brief biography

3  The details listed below:

   TITLE OF SESSION:         _________________________________________

   TYPE OF SESSION:          [ ] Keynote presentation

                             [ ] Technical presentation

                             [ ] Panel session

                             [ ] Open discussion session

                             [ ] Workshop/Tutorial

   TARGET AUDIENCE (you may select more than one category):

                             [ ] Manager

                             [ ] Software Engineer

                             [ ] Systems Analyst

                             [ ] Marketer

                             [ ] Other: ______________________________

   NAME:   Dr/Mr/Mrs/Ms:     _________________________________________

   TITLE/POSITION:           _________________________________________

   ORGANIZATION/AFFILIATION: _________________________________________

   ORGANIZATION'S WWW URL:   _________________________________________

   OWN WWW URL:              _________________________________________

   E-MAIL ADDRESS:           _________________________________________

   ADDRESS FOR PAPER MAIL:   _________________________________________

                             _________________________________________

                             _________________________________________

   TELEPHONE:                _________________________________________

   FAX:                      _________________________________________

For e-mail submissions, please submit in ASCII, uncoded, non-
compressed text and use the following subject line:
   Proposal for IUC 11

Submissions should be sent to the following address by e-mail, post, 
or fax:

   Eleventh International Unicode Conference
   c/o Global Meeting Services
   3627 Princess Avenue
   N.Vancouver, B.C.
   Canada  V7N 2E4

   Tel:    +1 604 983 9157
   Fax:    +1 604 983 9158

   E-mail: [email-masked]
       or: [email-masked]

EXHIBIT OPPORTUNITIES

The Conference will have an Exhibition area for corporations or 
individuals who wish to display and promote their products, technology 
and/or services.

Every effort will be made to provide maximum exposure and advertising.

Exhibit space is limited.  For further information or to reserve a 
place, please contact Global Meeting Services at the above location.

CONFERENCE VENUE

  Red Lion / Doubletree Hotel San Jose
  2050 Gateway Place
  San Jose, California 95110
  USA 

THE UNICODE STANDARD

The Unicode Standard is a 16-bit character encoding encompassing the 
world's principal scripts which provides the foundation for the 
internationalization and localization of software.  With its simple 
and efficient approach to special and modified characters, the Unicode 
Standard defines a new degree of data portability between platforms 
and across borders.  Software (especially modern, distributed systems) 
can be adapted for particular countries far more easily than when 
existing character sets are used.  The Unicode Standard is code-for-
code identical to the International Standard ISO/IEC 10646.

For further information on the Unicode Standard, visit the Unicode Web 
site at <http://www.unicode.org> or e-mail <[email-masked]>.

(R) 'Unicode' is a registered trademark of Unicode, Inc.