Subject: Re: (i18n 32) japanese xopen locale with general charnames

From: Dominic Dunlop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 11:49:02 GMT

[From "(i18n 32) japanese xopen locale with general charnames" dated Dec  6]
> I have modified the xopen japanese locale to use names in the form of <j1234>
> giving the decimal row and columns of X0208. Also I changed the date formats
> to follow ISO rules (yyyy-mm-dd instead of yyyy/mm/dd). here it is:

Keld,

I'd welcome some rationale for what might otherwise be seen as
gratuitous editorial changes.  Why did you do these things?

My suggestions:

1. Character names: changed to facilitate future international
   harmonization of national profiles.  (Just a guess -- I'd really like
   to know why you consider the new form to be preferable.)

2. Date format: Note that the changes do not affect the external date
   representation defined by d_fmt: only the format of dates within the
   X/Open era extension definition has been changed.  Assuming that
   this or a similar extension is adopted by WG15, it is reasonable
   that the dates should be represented in a format compatible with ISO
   8601.  Indeed, taking this further, one could argue that the 8601
   representation of a period of time, where a solidus (slash)
   separates the beginning and ending dates should be used.  (Thus,
   1989-01-08:1989-12-31 would become 1989-01-08/1989-12-31.)

-- 
Dominic Dunlop