Subject: Web pages in twenty languages + Unicode

From: Misha Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 17:19:42 +0000 (GMT)

Web pages in twenty languages are now available at the Web sites of 
the Tenth International Unicode Conference.  The languages covered 
include Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional), Japanese and 
Russian.

In addition to these Web pages (which use legacy character sets such 
as GB2312, BIG5, SJIS etc), the Web sites provide a Unicode page, 
containing the text of all twenty languages.

Two versions of the Unicode page are provided.  One is encoded using 
UTF-8, a Unicode encoding scheme compatible with ASCII, in which byte 
values over 127 (decimal), ie 7F (hexadecimal), are used to encode 
characters outside the ASCII set.  The second Unicode page uses HTML 
Numeric Character References (NCRs) to encode characters outside the 
ASCII set.  Any Unicode-capable browser should display both pages 
correctly, as long as you have installed the necessary fonts.  At the 
time of writing, Unicode-capable browsers include Alis' Tango and 
Netscape's Communicator 4.0 beta.

To view any of the pages, go to <http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc10> 
and then click on the "Languages" button.  Alternatively, go to 
<http://www.unicode.org>, then click on "Tenth International Unicode 
Conference" and then click on the "Languages" button.