Subject: Tenth Int'l Unicode Conference - Call for Papers - Final Reminder

From: Misha Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 20:08:44 -0500 (EST)

Please forward this information to your colleagues, friends and contacts

       C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S  -  F I N A L   R E M I N D E R

          !!! The deadline for submissions is 8 November 1996 !!!

         * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

                   Tenth International Unicode Conference
                                     and
                          Global Computing Showcase

        Europe, Software + the Internet: Going Global with Unicode**

                             March 10-11, 1997

                               Mainz, Germany

****************************************************************************

With the Internet comes change: businesses world-wide expect accurate access 
to text, independent of location or language.  Users demand software that 
runs everywhere.  To meet these needs requires global computing.  The Tenth 
International Unicode** Conference will address all issues and topics 
relating to global computing with Unicode.

Conference attendees will include managers, software engineers, systems
analysts, and product marketing personnel responsible for the development
of software supporting Unicode/ISO 10646 as well as those involved in all
aspects of the globalization of software and the Internet.

All proposals for papers will be reviewed for inclusion in the Conference
Program and book of Conference Proceedings.

THEME/TOPICS

Global computing with Unicode is the overall theme of the Conference.  
Presentations should be geared towards a technical audience.  Suggested 
topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- The Internet and Unicode
- The World Wide Web (WWW) and Unicode
- Java and Unicode
- Character set issues on the Internet and WWW
- Compression of Unicode data
- Testing Unicode applications
- Library and archival concerns
- Unicode in UNIX
- Unicode in databases
- Unicode in large scale networks
- The results of using Unicode applications (case studies, solutions)
- Business topics and market forecasts
- Language processing issues with Unicode data
- Migrating legacy applications to Unicode
- Cross platform issues
- Usability evaluations of Unicode applications

SESSIONS

The Conference Program will provide a wide range of sessions including:
- Keynote presentations
- Technical presentations
- Panel sessions
- Open discussion sessions 
- Workshops/Tutorials

All sessions except the Workshops/Tutorials will be of 40 minute duration.  
In some cases, two consecutive 40 minute program slots may be devoted to a 
single session.

The Workshops/Tutorials will each last three hours.  They should be designed 
to stimulate discussion and participation, using slides and demonstrations.

DEADLINES:

   Submissions due:          8 November 1996
   Notification date:        22 November 1996
   Camera ready papers due:  17 January 1997

PUBLICITY

If your submission is accepted, your abstract, biography, name, title and 
affiliation, as well as any URLs you provide, will be included on the 
Conference Web pages and will be seen by many people.

SUBMISSIONS

Submissions must contain:
1  An abstract of 150-250 words, consisting of statement of purpose, paper 
   description, and your conclusions or final summary
2  A brief biography
3  The details listed below:

   TITLE OF SESSION:         _______________________________________________

   TYPE OF SESSION:          [ ] Keynote presentation

                             [ ] Technical presentation

                             [ ] Panel session

                             [ ] Open discussion session

                             [ ] Workshop/Tutorial

   TARGET AUDIENCE (you may select more than one category):

                             [ ] Manager           [ ] Software Engineer

                             [ ] Systems Analyst   [ ] Marketer   

                             [ ] Other: ____________________________________

   NAME:   Dr/Mr/Mrs/Ms:     _______________________________________________

   TITLE/POSITION:           _______________________________________________

   ORGANIZATION/AFFILIATION: _______________________________________________

   ORGANIZATION'S WWW URL:   _______________________________________________

   OWN WWW URL:              _______________________________________________

   E-MAIL ADDRESS:           _______________________________________________

   ADDRESS FOR PAPER MAIL:   _______________________________________________

                             _______________________________________________

   TELEPHONE:                _______________________________________________

   FAX:                      _______________________________________________

For e-mail submissions, please submit in ASCII, uncoded, non-compressed text
and use the following subject line:
   Proposal for IUC 10

Submissions should be sent to the following address by e-mail, post, or fax:

   Tenth International Unicode Conference
   c/o Global Meeting Services
   3627 Princess Avenue
   N.Vancouver, B.C.
   Canada  V7N 2E4
   voice:  +1 604 983-9157
   fax:    +1 604 983-9158
   e-mail: [email-masked]
       or: [email-masked]

EXHIBIT OPPORTUNITIES:

The Conference will have an Exhibition area for corporations or individuals 
who wish to display and promote their products, technology and/or services.

The Exhibition will take place from 5-8pm on March 10, coinciding with the 
Conference Reception.

Every effort will be made to provide maximum exposure and advertising.

Exhibit space is limited.  For further information or to reserve a place,
please contact Global Meeting Services at the above location.

CONFERENCE VENUE

The Conference will take place at the:
   Mainz Hilton
   Rheinstrasse 68
   55116 Mainz
   Germany

CONFERENCE UPDATES

For further information on the Tenth International Unicode Conference, visit 
<http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc10/> or <http://www.unicode.org>.

THE UNICODE STANDARD

The Unicode Standard is a 16-bit character encoding encompassing the world's 
principal scripts which provides the foundation for the internationalization 
and localization of software.  With its simple and efficient approach to 
special and modified characters, the Unicode Standard defines a new degree 
of data portability between platforms and across borders.  Software 
(especially modern, distributed systems) can be adapted for particular 
countries far more easily than when existing character sets are used.  The 
Unicode Standard is code-for-code identical to the International Standard 
ISO/IEC 10646.

For further information on the Unicode Standard, visit the Unicode Web site 
at <http://www.unicode.org> or e-mail <[email-masked]>.

** 'Unicode' is a trademark of Unicode, Inc.