Subject: Message specially for Scandinavian countries interested in preventing disabilities using keyboards

From: "Alain LaBont/e'/" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 08:53:50 -0400

At 04:01 05/09/1996 EDT, Liz and Mark Goldstein wrote:
>Alain,
>
>More news on the segmented keyboards saga.
>
>The "found" votes amounted to 23 Yes and 3 No.
>
>However, USA managed to convince Finland not to participate.  So now we have
>only 4 countries.
>
>I spoke to Mr Nohara and he has asked JTC1 for 10 days to lobby for another
>country's participation.
>
>Is there anything you can do?  Any contacts which might swing a vote?  
>
>How about Germany?  They always attend and could easily vote to
participate.  On
>this subject, do you have Willie Bohn's contact number?
>
>Or perhaps Denmark or Belgium?
>
>Best regards,
>
>Mark Goldstein

I don't have Willie's email address. However I will ask Wolf Arfvidson in
Sweden and Keld Simonsen in Danmark. I know that Scandinavian countries have
legislation on ergonomy. We had an interactive presentation (by blind
people) in a SC18/WG9 meeting in Stockholm in 1994 about user interfaces for
blind people and they were very active in all these fields. It seems to me
that they should be the most interested in this physiological problem about
wrist trauma using a keyboard.

Wolf, did you see this vote on the development of segmented keyboards?
Wouldn't Sweden see an interest in this problem highly linked to ergonomy
and prevention of disabilities? What is required is one extra country
willing to participate so that the NP be launched as per ISO/IEC directives.

Keld, can something be done in Danmark?

Best Regards.

Alain LaBonté
Québec