Subject: Progress of 8859 revision

From: Johan van Wingen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 15:37 +0100 (CET)

Dear Colleagues

This is to report the present status of:

 ISO  8859            8-bit single byte coded graphic character sets, in Parts:
        -1:1987-02-15 Latin alphabet no. 1     (in revision)
        -2:1987-02-15 Latin alphabet no. 2     (in revision)
        -3:1988-04-15 Latin alphabet no. 3     (in revision)
        -4:1988-04-15 Latin alphabet no. 4     (in revision)
        -5:1988-12-01 Latin/Cyrillic alphabet  (in revision)
        -6:1987-08-15 Latin/Arabic alphabet    (in revision)
        -7:1987-11-15 Latin/Greek alphabet     (in revision)
        -8:1988-06-01 Latin/Hebrew alphabet    (in revision)
        -9:1989-05-15 Latin alphabet no. 5     (in revision)
       -10:1993-12-15 Latin alphabet no. 6     (in revision)

For 8 parts a CD has been balloted. The result of National Member Body
voting on what is to be ISO/IEC 8859 Parts 1-6,9,10, 2nd edition, is in
the following table. The complete document, with all the comments, is
SC2 N 2673. No changes have been applied to the code tables. The request
from France to modify 8859-1 could not be satisfied.

                       YES    NO    Not voted
------------------------------------------------------------------------
PART 1 (CD in N 2649)   21     2     10
PART 2 (CD in N 2651)   22     1     10
PART 3 (CD in N 2652)   23     0     10
PART 4 (CD in N 2661)   23     1      9
PART 5 (CD in N 2653)   22     0     11
PART 6 (CD in N 2662)   22     2      9
PART 9 (CD in N 2654)   23     0     10
PART 10(CD in N 2663)   20     3     10
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Disposition of Comments has been produced (all these parts together),
which will be available after all Project Editors have endorsed it.
The Final Text of every part to be submitted for DIS will be available
on-line, but only to people involved in ISO/IEC standardization efforts,
that is to National delegates to JTC1 and SCs, and to nominated members
of their Working groups. It is not expected within a week.

The Project Editors are:
CD 8859-1  J. B. Paterson
CD 8859-2  J. W. van Wingen
CD 8859-3  J. W. van Wingen
CD 8859-4  K. I. Larsson
CD 8859-5  J. W. van Wingen
CD 8859-6  Kh. Sharif
CD 8859-9  U. Karakas
CD 8859-10 K. I. Larsson