Subject: Unicode conference

From: [email-masked] (Keld J|rn Simonsen)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 15:46:56 +0200

Here is a conference that is relevant to both character set
and internationalization /Keld

__________________________________________________________________

Ninth International Unicode Conference
 and
Global Computing Showcase

Software Development + the Internet:
Going Global with Unicode

September 4-6, 1996

Red Lion Hotels & Inns
2050 Gateway Place
San Jose, CA  95110

CALL FOR PAPERS

With the Internet comes change: businesses worldwide expect accurate
access to text, independent of location or language.  Users demand
software that runs everywhere.  To meet these needs requires global
computing.  The Ninth International Unicode** Conference will address
all issues and topics relating to global computing with Unicode.

All proposals for papers will be reviewed for inclusion in the conference
program and proceedings book.

Conference attendees will include managers, software engineers, systems
analysts, and product marketing personnel responsible for the development
of software supporting Unicode/ISO 10646 as well as those involved in all
aspects of the globalization of software and the Internet.

THEME/TOPICS:

The general theme will address the globalization of the Internet and
software with Unicode: global computing.

Topics may cover, but are not limited to:

 - The Internet and Unicode
 - The World Wide Web(WWW) and Unicode
 - Java and Unicode
 - Character set issues on the Internet and WWW
 - Compression of Unicode data
 - Testing Unicode applications
 - Library and archival concerns
 - Unicode in UNIX
 - Unicode in databases
 - Unicode in large scale networks
 - The results of using Unicode applications (case studies, solutions)
 - Business topics and market forecasts
 - Language processing issues with Unicode data
 - Migrating legacy applications to Unicode
 - Cross platform issues
 - Usability evaluations of Unicode applications

SUBMISSIONS:

The Technical Program (September 5 & 6) will provide a range of interesting
presentations to include:
 - Keynote plenary sessions
 - Concurrent session paper presentations

Paper Proposals: 30 minute papers

On September 4 only, we will introduce pre-conference full or half day
workshops, to include:
 - Tutorial session
 - Interactive panel presentations
 - Discussion groups

3 or 6 hour workshops will have a maximum of 50 participants and should be
designed to stimulate discussion and participation, using slides and
demonstrations.

Please include statement of purpose, paper description, and your conclusions
or final summary.  Length:  Between 150 and 250 words.

Along with your submission, please supply the following information,
including a brief biography:

NAME:   Dr/Mr/Mrs/Ms:           __________________________________

TITLE/POSITION:                 __________________________________

ORGANIZATION/AFFILIATION:       _________________________________

ADDRESS:                        _________________________________

                                __________________________________

TELEPHONE:                      __________________________________

FAX:                            __________________________________

E-MAIL:                         __________________________________

TITLE OF PRESENTATION:          _______________________________

TARGET AUDIENCE:  You may check more than one

Manager  [  ]            Software Engineer  [  ]

Systems Analyst  [  ]    Marketer  [  ]

Other: please describe ______________________________

BIOGRAPHY:

DEADLINES:

Submissions due:        May 24, 1996
Notification date:      June 7, 1996
Camera ready copy due:  July 19, 1996

For e-mail submissions, please submit in ASCII, uncoded, non-compressed text
and use the following subject line:
"Subject: Proposal for IUC 9".

Your abstracts should be sent to the following address by post, e-mail, or
fax:

         Ninth International Unicode Conference
         c/o Global Meeting Services
         3627 Princess Avenue
         N.Vancouver, B.C.
         Canada  V7N 2E4
         voice:  (604) 983-9157
         fax:    (604) 983-9158
         e-mail: [email-masked]

EXHIBIT OPPORTUNITIES:

The Conference will have an area for corporations or individuals who wish to
display and promote their products, technology and/or services.

Exhibition hours:
September 5:  10:00 a.m. - 08:00 p.m.
September 6:  10:00 a.m. - 05:00 p.m.

Every effort will be made to provide maximum exposure and advertising.

Exhibit space is limited.  For further information or to reserve a place,
please contact Barbara at the above location.

We look forward to your proposal(s) and anticipate a very successful
Conference in September.

CONFERENCE REVIEW BOARD: provided by the Unicode Consortium

The Unicode Standard:

The Unicode Standard is a 16-bit character encoding that is code-for-code
identical to the International Standard ISO/IEC 10646.  Encompassing the
world's principal scripts, it provides the foundation for the
internationalization and localization of software.  With its simple and
efficient approach to special and modified characters, the Unicode Standard
defines a new degree of data portability between platforms and across
borders.  Software (especially modern, distributed systems) can be adapted
for particular countries far more easily than when existing character sets
are used.

For further information on the Unicode Standard contact:

         e-mail: [email-masked]

** 'Unicode' is a trademark of Unicode, Inc.

--- End of forwarded message from "Winkler, Arnold F           BB" <[email-masked]>