Subject: (Copy) (Copy) iso / dis 8879 Hypertext Markup Language Standard

From: Johan van Wingen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:40 +0100 (CET)

---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Date:    Fri, 08 Mar 96 16:57 CET
From:    "Johan van Wingen"                          <[email-masked]
L>
To:      Martin Bryan                     <[email-masked]>,
         "H. Gaylord"                     <[email-masked]>
Subject: (Copy) iso / dis 8879 Hypertext Markup Language Standard
CC:      SC22 List                            <[email-masked]>,
         SC22/WG20 mailing list               <[email-masked]>,
         SC02 List                            <[email-masked]>

Gentlemen
Here is at last a voice from Turkey itself. I always maintained that
The Netherlands had selected 8859-9, not 8859-1 for Government use,
but that message was generally ignored.
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 1996 16:40:33 +0300 (EET)
From: Umit KARAKAS <[email-masked]>
Subject: iso / dis 8879 Hypertext Markup Language Standard
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],smazza@ANS
I.ORG.EDU
 , [email-masked], [email-masked],[email-masked]
 , [email-masked],[email-masked]
 , [email-masked], [email-masked],[email-masked]
 , [email-masked], [email-masked],[email-masked]
 , [email-masked],
 Ersin TORECI <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

I have deep concern about DRaft (?) standard 8879 . Would you supply me
e-mail address, fax and postal address for working group members for this
(8879) standard. The previous standard in this area were ISO8879 Standard
Generalized Markup Language (SGML), date 1986-10-15, and the previous
standard is based on various, selectable code tables as
iso2022,iso4873,iso6737. According to partial information on current
(draft ? ) HTML the code table is selected as Latin 1.
Latin 1 is regional code table for most of the West European languages is
represented in. On the contrary Latin 5 ( iso8859 table 9 , ecma128 Latin
5 ) is designed for maximum utility latin letters. Latin 1 covers 43
countries and 17 languages according to geographic selection which is
west european,

Latin 5 covers 43 countries and 17 languages according to frequency of
the letter and language. Since HTML is basically network utility, and it
is used /may be used for WWW pages, this standard may not be based on
regional standard. Otherwise WWW pages, that advertise new products, may
not be read in Turkey.   For your information According to our brief
search depending on UN statistics indicate that Latin Alphabet based
languages utility frequencies is given below :

                  spoken as first language    spoken as second language
English                 518,244,999               69,033,265  +++
Spanish                 304,689,188               17,830,359  +
Portuguese              151,230,622                  965,712  ++
Turkish                  99,866,460               30,381,893  +
French                  104,751,358               10,529,661  ++
German                   93,849,110                9,341,971  ++
Italian                  57,944,978                9,056,842  +
Polish                   37,881,900                1,898,223

Data depends on UN statistics , related years 91 to 94, if recent data
is unavailable statistics on 91 is accepted.

By choosing latin 1 over Latin 5, or intending to do it 130 million
customers (who speak Turkish ) is ignored.

Would you send information about the current status about 8879 HTML
?,  copy of current draft and related iso / sc18 meeting timetable

sincerely

Umit Karakas