Subject: UNICODE conference

From: [email-masked] (Keld J|rn Simonsen)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 20:45:52 +0200

Some information I got from Asmus Freytag  /Keld
----

In addition to three tracks of presenters and two keynotes, we have
added another plenary speaker - Donald Knuth, Stanford Professor of
Computer Science.

                      Thursday, September 14, 1995

+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|       TIME       |      TRACK A     |      TRACK B     |      TRACK C 
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   08:00 - 09:00  |         Registration and Continental Breakfast     
    |
+------------------+----------------------------------------------------
----+
|   09:00 - 09:10  |                     Opening Address                
    |
|                  |                                                    
    |
|                  |  Lisa Moore, Chair, Conference Technical Review 
Board  |
+------------------+----------------------------------------------------
----+
|   09:10 - 09:40  |                         Keynote                    
    |
|                  |                                                    
    |
|                  |                Kevin Cavanaugh, VP Lotus           
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   09:40 - 10:20  |  Role of Unicode | Using Unicode on |   Future 
Allo-   |
|                  |   in Global MIS  |   the Internet   |      cations 
    |
|                  |                  |                  |              
    |
|                  |   Douglas Val-   |  David Goldsmith |      Becker  
    |
|                  |  Ziegler, Xerox  |                  |              
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   10:20 - 10:40  |                    Refreshment Break               
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   10:40 - 11:20  |  Unicode support |  Unicode on the  |     Canadian 
    |
|                  |   for Teradata   |  WWW: Techincal  |    
Aboriginal    |
|                  |     Databases    |  and Managerial  |     
Syllabics    |
|                  |                  |      Issues      |              
    |
|                  |  Andy Witkowski, |                  |  Dirk 
Vermeulen, |
|                  |   Gary Roberts,  | Francois Yergeau |       CASEC  
    |
|                  |       AT&T       |                  |              
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|  11:20 - 12::00  |  Unicode in Dis- |  Unicode and the |        ISO   
    |
|                  |   tributed Com-  |  WWW: Supporting |  
10646-Unicode:  |
|                  |      puting      |  Unicode in HTTP |  Continued 
Con-  |
|                  |   Environments   |     and HTML     |     vergence 
    |
|                  |                  |                  |              
    |
|                  |   Mike McKenna,  |   Glenn Adams,   |    Mike 
Ksar,    |
|                  |      Sybase      |     Stonehand    |  
Hewlett-Packard |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   12:00 - 01:30  |                        Luncheon                    
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   01:30 - 02:10  | Taligent Unicode |   Unicode, Rich  |   How to 
Design  |
|                  |     Collation    |  Text, and Math- |  Non-Latin 
Prob- |
|                  |                  |   ematical For-  |  lems into 
your  |
|                  |    Mark Davis,   |       mulas      |  Product, 
Part I |
|                  |     Taligent     |                  |              
    |
|                  |                  |  Murray Sargent, |  Richard 
Ishida, |
|                  |                  |     Microsoft    |       Xerox  
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   02:10 - 02:50  |  Boundaries and  |  Layout Services |   How to 
Design  |
|                  | Segmentation for | for Complex-text |  Non-Latin 
Prob- |
|                  |  Characters and  |     Languages    |  lems into 
your  |
|                  |       Words      |                  | Product, 
Part II |
|                  |                  |  Israel Gidali,  |              
    |
|                  |    Mark Davis,   |        IBM       |  Richard 
Ishida, |
|                  |     Taligent     |                  |       Xerox  
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   02:50 - 03:10  |                    Refreshment Break               
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   03:10 - 03:50  |   Using Locales  |    Unicode in    | The 
Influence of |
|                  |   with Unicode-  |   Stringly and   |  Unicode on 
the  |
|                  |    based Data    |   Weakly Typed   |     Win32 
API    |
|                  |    Structures    |     Languages    |              
    |
|                  |                  |                  |    Bill 
Hall,    |
|                  |   Mike McKenna,  |  Jim Brown, IBM  |      Novell  
    |
|                  |      Sybase      |                  |              
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   03:50 - 04:30  |      Unicode     | Interface Design |    
Non-Spacing   |
|                  |  Mapping Issues  |  in the Standard |       Marks  
    |
|                  |                  |    C++ Library   |              
    |
|                  |   Peter Edberg,  |                  |    Mark 
Davis,   |
|                  |       Apple      |   Nathan Myers,  |     Taligent 
    |
|                  |                  | Rogue Wave Soft- |              
    |
|                  |                  |       ware       |              
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   04:30 - 05:00  |          Experiences Getting Ready for Unicode     
    |
|                  |                                                    
    |
|                  |            Donald Knuth, Stanford University       
    |
+------------------+----------------------------------------------------
----+
|   05:00 - 08:00  |                 Reception and Exhibits             
    |
+------------------+----------------------------------------------------
----+

                       Friday, September 15, 1995

+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|       TIME       |      TRACK A     |      TRACK B     |      TRACK C 
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   08:00 - 09:00  |         Registration and Continental Breakfast     
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   09:00 - 09:40  |  International-  |  International-  |  Text 
PRocessing |
|                  |    ization of    |    ization of    | in an 
Integrated |
|                  |     OS/2(tm)     | Banking Applica- |     
Bilingual    |
|                  |                  |       tions      | Chinese 
Environ- |
|                  |   Lisa Abbott,   |                  |       ment   
    |
|                  |  Steve Akin, IBM |  David Thompson, |              
    |
|                  |                  |   Citicorp/TTI   |   Leo Liu, 
C.C.  |
|                  |                  |                  | Hsu, C.P. 
Chang, |
|                  |                  |                  |        IBM   
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   09:40 - 10:20  |   Unicode and    |  Moving towards  |   An 
Automatic   |
|                  |  International   |      Unicode     |    
Translator    |
|                  |   Support in     |                  |  between 
Tradi-  |
|                  |  Copeland and    |      Anthony     |  tional and 
Sim- |
|                  |    System 7      |   Brickell, The  |  plified 
Chinese |
|                  |                  |  British Library |    in 
Unicode    |
|                  | John McConnell,  |                  |              
    |
|                  |       Apple      |                  |     S.H.Liu, 
    |
|                  |                  |                  |     C.C.Hsu, 
    |
|                  |                  |                  |  C.P.Chang, 
IBM  |
|                  |                  |                  |      Taiwan  
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   10:20 - 10:40  |                    Refreshment Break               
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   10:40 - 11:20  |  Unicode Support |  Globalized Lan- |   Unicode 
Code   |
|                  |   in Microsoft   |  guage Learning: |  Conversion 
for  |
|                  |    Windows(tm)   |     WinCALIS     |  Asian Code 
Sets |
|                  |                  |                  |              
    |
|                  |   Lori Hoerth,   |  Richard Kunst,  |  Tetsuji 
Orita,  |
|                  |     Microsoft    |  Duke University |     IBM 
Japan    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   11:20 - 12:00  |    Unicode and   |    Issues for    | Multilingual 
API |
|                  |   International  |   Implementing   | for 
Internation- |
|                  |    Support in    | Natural Language |   alization 
of   |
|                  |     Taligent     |    Processing    | Network 
Services |
|                  |                  |   Applications   |              
    |
|                  |   Jack Grimes,   |                  |   Borka 
Jerman-  |
|                  |     Taligent     | Leo YuHsian Liu, | Blaizic, 
Labora- |
|                  |                  |        IBM       |   tory for 
Open  |
|                  |                  |                  | Systems and 
Net- |
|                  |                  |                  |   works, 
Jozef   |
|                  |                  |                  |   Stefan 
Insti-  |
|                  |                  |                  |  tute, 
Ljubjana, |
|                  |                  |                  |     Slovenia 
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   12:00 - 01:30  |                        Luncheon                    
    |
+------------------+----------------------------------------------------
----+
|   01:30 - 02:00  |   Keynote Presentation - China: The Information 
Tech-  |
|                  |     nology Industry Today and the Opportunities 
for    |
|                  |                        Tomorrow                    
    |
|                  |                                                    
    |
|                  |     George Wang, Director, China Research Lab, IBM 
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   02:00 - 02:40  |  A Multilingual  | Writing Interna- | Unicode/CJK 
Font |
|                  | Windows Environ- |  tional Apps for |    Support 
in    |
|                  |       ment       |      Windows     |    
PostScript    |
|                  |                  |                  |              
    |
|                  |  Teow-Hin Ngair, |   Lori Hoerth,   | Ken Lunde, 
Adobe |
|                  | National Univer- |     Microsoft    |              
    |
|                  |      sity of     |                  |              
    |
|                  |     Singapore    |                  |              
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   02:40 - 03:00  |                    Refreshment Break               
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   03:00 - 03:40  |  mf for Windows: | Writing Interna- |  Font 
Selection  |
|                  |   Multilingual   |  tionalized Apps |  and Font 
Compo- |
|                  |  Facilities for  |  with Microsoft  |    sition 
for    |
|                  |  Windows in the  |  Visual C++(tm)  |      Unicode 
    |
|                  |        EU        |      and MFC     |              
    |
|                  |                  |                  |   Martin 
Duerst  |
|                  |  Wolfgang Keber, |   Avery Bishop,  |              
    |
|                  |    DiaLOGIKa,    |     Microsoft    |              
    |
|                  |      Germany     |                  |              
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   03:40 - 04:20  | Gamma's Interna- |     Automatic    |    
Typsetting    |
|                  |  tional Language |  Replacement of  |   Unicode 
with   |
|                  |   Interface: a   |  Translated Text |       Omega  
    |
|                  |    Case Study    |  and Resizing of |              
    |
|                  |                  |  GUI objects in  |   John 
Plaice,   |
|                  |  Dean Abramson,  | OS/2 and Windows |    
Universite    |
|                  |    Gamma Pro-    |                  |  Laval, 
Quebec,  |
|                  |   duction, Inc.  |   Gregg Andrews  |      Canada  
    |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+--------------
----+
|   04:20 - 04:50  |         Closing Address - Unicode: Taking Root     
    |
|                  |                                                    
    |
|                  |               Asmus Freytag, Asmus, Inc.           
    |
+------------------+----------------------------------------------------
----+
|   04:50 - 05:30  |                          Q & A                     
    |
+------------------+----------------------------------------------------
----+

                Seventh International Unicode Conference
                                 and
                  Multilingual Computing Exhibition

                 September 14-15, 1995, San Jose, CA

The Conference: "Software Globalization"
----------------------------------------
The Conference brings together leading technical experts on 
implementing
the Unicode Standard and ISO 10646 and on software globalization for 
major
operating systems.  Speakers will address related subjects, such as 
usin
Unicode data on the Internet, international typography, and adaptation 
of
software to cultural parameters.

Discover how companies such as Microsoft, IBM, Sybase, Apple, Novell,
AT&T, Xerox and Lotus are using Unicode as a key enabling technology.
See products that implement the Unicode Standard at the Multilingual
Computing Exhibition.

To keep current with the rapidly evolving technologies of global 
software,
this Conference is essential!

Audience
--------
Managers, engineers, software developers, systems analysts, programmers 
and
product marketing personnel responsible for the development of software
supporting Unicode/ISO 10646 and also those involved in all aspects of 
the
globalization of software.

Program
-------
3 tracks packed with 45 presentations in these areas:  databases, text
processing, scripts, implementation, compilers, operating systems,
internationalization, code sets and conversions, multilingual 
environments,
multiscript applications, fonts.

Keynote presentations by:

Kevin Cavanaugh, VP International Product Development, Lotus Dev Inc.
George Wang, Director, China Research Lab, IBM Corp

Plenary presentation by:

Donald Knuth, Professor, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA

Other presentations include those by:

Glenn Adams, Stonehand, Inc.
Joe Becker, Xerox Corp.
F. Avery Bishop, Microsoft Corp.
Mark Davis, Taligent, Inc.
Peter Edberg, Apple Computer, Inc.
Bill Hall, Novell, Inc.
Ken Lunde, Adobe Systems, Inc.
Mike McKenna, Sybase, Inc.
Teow-Hin Ngair, National University of Singapore
Douglas Val-Ziegler, Xerox Corp.

As well as papers by:

AT&T, Alis Technologies, Citicorp, DIaLOGIKa, Duke
University, Gamma Productions, Inc., Hewlett-Packard, IBM,
The British Library, Universite' Laval. and University of Zurich.

Exhibits
--------
Exhibits feature a general area for Multilingual Computing and
Internationalization related products as well as a special section
featuring Technology for Unicode.

Location
--------
Hyatt San Jose
1740 North First Street
San Jose, CA  95112-4584

Special Room Rates
------------------
Reserve your room before August 13 for the special Conference rate: US 
$85
single/$95 double.  Call the Hyatt San Jose at (408) 993-1234,
or fax (408) 453-0259, and request the Unicode Conference special rate.

Discounted Travel
-----------------
For travel within the USA and Canada, American Airlines is the official
Conference carrier.  For additional 5-10% discounts on travel between
September 11-18, 1995, call American Airlines Meeting Services Desk at
1-800-433-1790 and quote star file # S4295AB.

Attention Exhibitors!
---------------------
Space is still available.  For further information contact -
  Barbara at:
  Tel: 604-983-9157  Fax: 604-983-9158  Email: [email-masked]  
or
  Seth at:
  Tel: 208-263-8178  Fax: 208-263-6310  Email: 
[email-masked]

Registration
------------

Conference registration includes:
Full two days of sessions, continental breakfast and luncheon on both 
days,
refreshment breaks, all on-site conference materials, conference
proceedings, entry to exhibit area.

  Unicode Consortium member -                                 $395
    includes employees of Corporate and Associate
    Member companies, and Individual Members
  Non-member -
    Prior to August 14                                         $450
    After August 14                                            $495
  Exhibit area only                                            $ 25

  Student rate available upon request.

  To register now complete and return the following information:

  NAME:            __________________________________________________

  AFFILIATION:     __________________________________________________

  ADDRESS:         __________________________________________________

  CITY/STATE:      __________________________________________________

  ZIP:             __________________________________________________

  TEL:             __________________________  FAX:  _________________

  E-MAIL:          ___________________________________________________

  All rates quoted in US $.

         [  ]  Unicode Member                   $395
         [  ]  Non-member before August 14      $450
         [  ]  Non-member after August 14       $495
         [  ]  Exhibit area only                $ 25

  Paid by:

  [  ] Visa     [  ]  Mastercard     [  ] American Express      [  ] 
Check

  ________________________________________________________
  Credit Card Number                       Expiration Date

  ________________________________________________________
  Name as it appears on card                     Signature

  Please make checks payable to Global Meeting Services Inc.

Send by the following methods:

  Mail:
  Unicode Conference
  c/o 3627 Princess Avenue
  N. Vancouver, BC, Canada  V7N 2E4

  Fax:  604-983-9158

  E-mail: [email-masked]

CANCELLATION/SUBSTITUTION:  Cancellations received and post-marked 
prior to
Sept. 1 will receive 80% refund to be mailed after the Conference.
Substitutions permitted to Sept.  13.

Conference management
---------------------
The Seventh International Unicode Conference is held by Global Meeting
Services under licence from the Unicode Consortium.  Unicode and the
Unicode logo are trademarks of Unicode, Inc.  Used with permission.  
The
Multilingual Computing Exhibition is held by Multilingual Computing
Magazine and is managed by Global Meeting Services Inc.

For further information on the Conference or Exhibits contact Barbara 
at:
  Tel:   604-983-9157
  Fax:   604-983-9158
  E-mail: [email-masked]

--- End of forwarded message from [email-masked] (Asmus Freytag)