Subject: Re: UCS Support "in the pipeline"

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Oct 94 13:45:00 -0500

----------
Concerning Andr<e'>'s annexed comment on my report of yesterday about UCS
availability on IBM products, I will pass on that information to IBM experts.
I don't have any answer to provide yet, as I don't know if it' aimed at IBM
proprietary internetwork capabilities or TCP/IP.

VM is indeed absent of the list: certain things were announced for NLS on VM
systems, but not UCS (and I don't even know if it's in the mill).

Btw, Andr<e'>, do not consider the addresses you have in the CC field as correct,
as there is a MAILER formatting problem either at the IMMEDIA site or at the
CRIM site, in which, when I have too many addresses, there is formatting
overlaps (some of the addresses you took from my mails, you may have seen it
already by the bouncings, are invalid).

Alain LaBont<e'>

Message original:
==============================================================================
         A: RNET (ALAIN LA BONTE' <[email-masked]>,),
            RNET (MULTI-BYTE CODE ISSUES <[email-masked]>), ALB
        CC: RNET ([email-masked],), RNET ([email-masked],),
            RNET ([email-masked],),
            RNET ([email-masked],), RNET ([email-masked])
        De: RNET ([email-masked])
     Objet: Re: UCS Support "in the pipeline"
      Date: mer 12 oct 94
     Heure: 12:14 TU
      Type: Mail
 Livraison: Reguliere
==============================================================================
On Tue, 11 Oct 1994 14:57:00 -0500 you said:
>To complement the information I gave concerning AIX 4.1 UCS enabling on the
>ISO10646 list, IBM announced this afternoon (statement of direction) at the
>G.U.I.D.E.  SHARE europe joint conference in Vienna:
>
>Direct support of UCS-2 in OS/2 (next release after the one now in beta test),
>with programming interfaces and network interoperability using UCS-2 encoding;
> [... with network interoperability for OS/2, OS/400 3.1, MVS and AIX 4.1]

Astounding news you sent us, Alain. Thanks.
Is "network interoperability" meant for the ubiquitous TCP/IP suite?
If yes, on what standards (RFCs?) will this interoperability be based?
In other words, what will UCS e-mail (SMTP), News (NNTP), Gopher, WWW etc...
data look like when coming from these systems and how will the encoding be
identified so that a non-UCS system be able to detect it and possibly
translate the data to its own ASCII or 8859 format. E.g. during file
transfer (FTP) to DOS (not in the announcement), or conversely.
I notice the strange absence of the VM/CMS system.

Andre'.