Subject: Re: UCS Support "in the pipeline"

From: Andre' PIRARD <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 94 12:24:06 +0100

On Tue, 11 Oct 1994 14:57:00 -0500 you said:
>To complement the information I gave concerning AIX 4.1 UCS enabling on the
>ISO10646 list, IBM announced this afternoon (statement of direction) at the
>G.U.I.D.E.  SHARE europe joint conference in Vienna:
>
>Direct support of UCS-2 in OS/2 (next release after the one now in beta test),
>with programming interfaces and network interoperability using UCS-2 encoding;
> [... with network interoperability for OS/2, OS/400 3.1, MVS and AIX 4.1]

Astounding news you sent us, Alain. Thanks.
Is "network interoperability" meant for the ubiquitous TCP/IP suite?
If yes, on what standards (RFCs?) will this interoperability be based?
In other words, what will UCS e-mail (SMTP), News (NNTP), Gopher, WWW etc...
data look like when coming from these systems and how will the encoding be
identified so that a non-UCS system be able to detect it and possibly
translate the data to its own ASCII or 8859 format. E.g. during file
transfer (FTP) to DOS (not in the announcement), or conversely.
I notice the strange absence of the VM/CMS system.

Andre'.