Subject: Character set in E-Mail

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Sep 94 20:46:00 +1900

----------
A comment from a Canadian SC2 team member... FYI...

Message original:
==============================================================================
         A: RNET ([email-masked]), ALB
        De: RNET ([email-masked])
     Objet: Character set in E-Mail
      Date: mer 28 sep 94
     Heure: 16:31 TU
      Type: Mail
 Livraison: Reguliere
==============================================================================
The message from Alain LaBont<e'> on character sets for E-Mail is quite
important. The same debate has occurred in CCITT/CCIR in the past for the
establishment of the special Teletext/Videotex/Teletex character sets.
We don't want to establish a lowest common denominator that no one will
use. It will only leave open code table positions that will be used
differently. If we don't watch out we could be left only with five level
BAUDO code.

Canada should respond to the request from Mr.J. W. van Wingen with some
hard evidence based on an experiment. The list of contriversial
characters should be distributed across the Internet to several of the
discussion groups relating to Internet protocols and their responses
collected and submitted to ISO.

With respect to the table:

COMPLETE REPERTOIRE OF GRAPHIC CHARACTERS NOT INCLUDED   1994-09-26
 IN THE INVARIANT PART OF ISO/IEC 646:1991              J. W. van Wingen

                              Sorted to code
  char. SID    Name                                           ISO 8859
                                                               Part     Code
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   #   SM01   NUMBER SIGN                                     0......    02/03
   $   SC03   DOLLAR SIGN                                     0......    02/04
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   @   SM05   COMMERCIAL AT                                   0......    04/00
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   [   SM06   LEFT SQUARE BRACKET                             0......    05/11
   \   SM07   REVERSE SOLIDUS                                 0......    05/12
   ]   SM08   RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET                            0......    05/13
   ^   SD15   CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT                               0......    05/14
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   `   SD13   GRAVE ACCENT                                    0......    06/00
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   {   SM11   LEFT CURLY BRACKET                              0......    07/11
   |   SM13   VERTICAL LINE                                   0......    07/12
   }   SM14   RIGHT CURLY BRACKET                             0......    07/13
   ~   SD19   TILDE                                           0......    07/14
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of these characters displayed correctly on my computer.

Regards
---
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 C. Douglas O'Brien             [email-masked]
 IDON Corporation
 326 Somerset St West          phone (613) 233-3040
 Ottawa, Canada, K2P 0J9       fax (613) 233-7088
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -