Subject: Resolutions from October 1990 RIN meeting

From: Dominic Dunlop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 16:20:03 GMT

JTC1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur Group on Internationalization

       Resolutions from London Meeting, 90-10-04 - 05

              Document JTC1/SC22/WG15RIN-N032

  1.  The JTC1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur Group on
      Internationalization expresses its gratitude to the
      meeting host, BSI.

  2.  The JCT1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur Group on
      Internationalization expresses its gratitude to the
      following officers for their services during the
      meeting: Keld Simonsen (Chair), Greger Leijonhufvud
      and Shigekatsu Nakao (drafting), and Dominic Dunlop
      (secretary).

  3.  The next meeting of the JTC1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur
      Group on Internationalization will be held on 90-04-22
      - 23 in the Netherlands.

      [Note: Since the October 1990 meeting of WG15
      rescheduled its Netherlands meeting to 91-05-13 - 17,
      it is suggested that RIN's next meeting should be
      moved to 91-05-13 - 14.  A formal notice to this
      effect may be expected from the WG15 convener -- DD]

  4.  The JTC1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur Group on
      Internationalization requests SC22/WG15 to request the
      U.S. member body to provide coordination copies of
      future drafts of ANSI/IEEE Std. 1003.2 to
      internationalization Rapporteurs for review and
      comment.

  5.  The JTC1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur Group on
      Internationalization requests SC22/WG15 to request the
      U.S. member body to initiate a dialogue by
      considering, and by providing advance information on,
      internationalization issues pertaining to networking.

  6.  The JTC1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur Group on
      Internationalization requests SC22/WG15 to request the
      U.S. member body to initiate a dialogue by
      considering, and by providing advance information on,
      internationalization issues pertaining to other areas
      of interest of which the U.S. member body is aware.

  7.  The JTC1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur Group on
      Internationalization commends to SC22/WG15 the action
      of the Danish member body in recommending that future

90-11-15                                              Page 1

                        Resolutions

      SC22 work on internationalization be based on the work
      of WG15.

  8.  The JTC1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur Group on
      Internationalization requests SC22/WG15 to advise the
      SC22 Special Working Group on Character Set Issues
      that the work of WG15 requires:

        1.  The definition of short names for graphic
            characters and control functions corresponding
            to the long names defined by DIS 10646 and other
            standards;

        2.  The ability to use lower-case alphabetic
            characters in these short names.

  9.  The JTC1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur Group on
      Internationalization commends to SC22/WG15 the
      internationalization-related content of draft 10 of
      IEEE 1003.2 (the current U.S. working draft of CD
      9945-2) as conceptually representing the minimal
      functionality sufficient to provide useful
      internationalization facilities to application
      programs in a POSIX environment.  This is confirmed by
      the fact that they are believed to meet at least the
      national requirements of the Canadian and Danish
      member bodies.

90-11-15                                              Page 2