Subject: Revised Otto Stolz contribution on decimal delimiter

From: [email-masked]
Date: 21 Jun 94 20:08:00 +1900

----------
FYI. ALB

Message original:
==============================================================================
         A: RNET (ALAIN LABONTE <[email-masked]>), ALB
        De: RNET ([email-masked])
     Objet: Re: SCHARFES S order
      Date: mar 21 jui 94
     Heure: 15:41 TU
      Type: Mail
 Livraison: Reguliere
==============================================================================
On 21 Jun 94 13:59:00 -0500 you said:
> I will pass on your decimal delimiter contribution to SC18/WG9

Thank you. Meanwhile, I've found a severe typo in it; I also would like
to make a minor clarification. Hence, please replace my contribution
with the version appended below.

> could you recheck if SCHARFES S comes after s or before in the
> latest editions of Duden?  [...]

I'm quite sure I know the answer (viz. according to DIN 5007) but I'll
check anyway. Please wait for my next note.

Best wishes,
              Otto <[email-masked]>
                   <[email-masked]>

- - - - - - - -

Subject:    Re: Decimal delimiter on numeric keypad should not depend on
In-Reply-To:  Message of Sun, 19 Jun 1994 14:13:09 +0200 from
 <[email-masked]>

On Sun, 19 Jun 1994 14:13:09 +0200 Martin J Duerst said:
> My idea was that this [i.e. "./,"] should be used in those areas where
> both "," and "." may be used as a decimal delimiter, e.g. on the
> Canadian keyboard. A US keyboard would still just have ".", and a
> French or German just only ","

Most users are forced to use ".", at times, in spite of their national
preferences. E.g. most programming languages (except COBOL) accept only
the dot as a decimal delimiter, both in source programs and in run-time
data input. Hence, the dot should be readily available in all countries
(even in France :-).

I strongly second Alain's notion of a function key (located on the
numeric keypad) in place of the current dot, or comma, key; on this key,
a dot and the locally used decimal delimiter should be engraved. It
should be possible to use this key for decimal delimiters in bulk entry
of numeric data. In the sequel, I'll use the name "dd" to designate this
proposed function key.

I think, no special character will be needed to implement this; a new
character is not even desirable. All we need is a very simple way to
switch between the various characters possibly assigned to the dd key.
On PC keyboards, the key combination Ctrl-dd is a good candidate: it
could cyclically offer all meanings for the dd key available in the
locale. Another possibility would be Ctrl-comma to switch to French/
German number entry, Ctrl-dot to switch to American data entry, and so
forth. Alt-dd should access the meaning currently not assigned to the dd
key, e.g. on a German keyboard, Alt-dd should input a comma while dd
inputs a dot, and vice versa.

While we are at bulk numeric data entry: by the same token, we also need
an exponent delimiter key on the numeric keypad! What about cutting the
over-sized plus key into two parts to make room for a new ed function
key?

Bottom line: this is a keyboard, and keyboard driver, design issue.
I do not think that a new character is appropriate.