Subject: Decimal delimiter: a new interesting idea

From: [email-masked]
Date: 21 Jun 94 13:53:00 -0500

----------
To       : RNET (MULTIPLE RECIPIENTS OF LIST ISO10646 <[email-masked]>)
           ALB
Subject  :      Re: Decimal delimiter on numeric keypad should not depend on
From     : RNET ([email-masked])
Date     : 06/21/94
Time     : 10:53

On Sun, 19 Jun 1994 14:13:09 +0200 Martin J Duerst said:
> My idea was that this [i.e. "./,"] should be used in those areas where
> both "," and "." may be used as a decimal delimiter, e.g. on the
> Canadian keyboard. A US keyboard would still just have ".", and a
> French or German just only ","

Most users are forced to use ".", at times, in spite of their national
preferences. E.g. most programming languages (except COBOL) accept only
the dot as a decimal delimiter, both in source programs and in run-time
data input. Hence, the dot should be readily available in all countries
(even in France :-).

I strongly second Alain's notion of a function key (located on the
numeric keypad) in place of the current dot, or comma, key; on this key,
a dot and the locally used decimal delimiter should be engraved. It
should be possible to use this key for decimal delimiters in bulk entry
of numeric data. In the sequel, I'll use the name "dd" to designate this
proposed function key.

I think, no special character will be needed to implement this; a new
character is not even desirable. All we need is a very simple way to
switch between the various characters possibly assigned to the dd key.
On PC keyboards, the key combination Ctrl-dd is a good candidate: it
could cyclically offer all meanings for dd available in the locale.
Another possibility would be Ctrl-, to switch to French/German number
entry, Ctrl-. to switch to American data entry, and so forth. Alt-dd
should access the meaning currently not assigned to the dd key, e.g.
on a German keyboard, Ctrl-dd should input a comma while dd inputs a
dot, and vice versa.

While we are at bulk numeric data entry: by the same token, we also need
an exponent delimiter key! What about cutting the over-sized + key
into two parts to make room for a new ed function key?

Bottom line: this is a keyboard, and keyboard driver, design issue.
I do not think that a new character is appropriate.

Best wishes,
                    Otto Stolz <[email-masked]>
                               <[email-masked]>