Subject: Re: (TC304.188) Decimal delimiter: presentation params should not fo

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 13:27:10 -0400

I disagree strongly.  Function keys are not mnemonic or intuitive 
and are therefore distincrtly unfriendly to inexperienced users.
One of the best things about a GUI is the lack of the need for 
function keys.

For data entry, users will want to use the separator characters 
that they are familiar with, or that appear in hard copy that is 
being entered.

Having said that, I don't see why the LOCALE numeric and monetary 
specifications aren't sufficient to handle input.  Whether the 
sparators get converted into a generic code after entry is surely 
an internal implementation issue.

  /glen

----- Begin Included Message -----

Date: 	Fri, 17 Jun 1994 16:20:00 -0400
> From: [email-masked]

----------
Keld suggestion is well intended, but it would not solve the problem of ease of
switching from language to language.  Why having to specify a parameter when the
function is the same for everybody on input?  When you input, you input.  If it
is to be fed back on a screen, it is a presentation matter and then you show the
character specified in the LOCALE and even the thousand (or chunck) separator.

For input you should use a function (you press a function key), not a character
(not a character key), to indicate the system you want to delimit the integer
from the residual, fractionary part of the whole number.  It should even not
generate a control character (at least not necessarily)...

Alain
----- End Included Message -----