Subject: With this, Spanish would be near to 6-language ordering, but...

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 May 94 13:57:00 -0500

----------
With this (see annex), on which my opinion is neutral, Spanish comes near to
the 6-language group of ordering, but they still have the N TILDE difference,
which is sufficient to make it special. This is of course not a problem to me.
Adaptation will still be useful in any such international standard.

Alain LaBont<e'>
editor, project ISO/IEC 22.30.02.02

Message original:
==============================================================================
         A: RNET ([email-masked]), ALB
        De: RNET ([email-masked])
     Objet: (SC22WG20.894) An alternate algorithm for internationalized sorting
      Date: lun  2 mai 94
     Heure: 09:02 TU
      Type: Mail
 Livraison: Reguliere
==============================================================================
Or, why didn't WG20 think of this?  From an Associated Press article in
last Fridays paper:

Madrid, Spain (AP) -- The world's more than 300 million Spanish speakers
now have two fewer letters in their alphabet to worry about, a mostly
bookeeping move that won almost unanimous support but disturbed some
traditionalists.
    The Association of Spanish Language Academies, meeting in Madrid ...
voted this week to eliminate the "Ch" and "Ll" from the Spanish alphabet.
The two letters, which historically have had their own separate headings
in dictionaries, now will be listed under other letters.  Words beginning
"Ch", like "chico", will fall under the letter "C", and words beginning with
"Ll", like "llama", will fall under the letter "L".
    The move does not change pronunciation, usage or spelling.  It was taken
mainly to simplify dictionaries and make Spanish more computer compatible
with English.
    Pushing for the change was Spain, a member of the 12-nation European Union.
The EU has urged its members to implement measures that aid translation and
computer standardization.
    ...
    The Spanish alphabet now has 27 letters -- the 26 contained in the
alphabet plus a stylized "n".

Thanks, Dick Weaver
  IBM M77/E365,555 Bailey Ave,PO 49023,San Jose Ca 95161-9023
  internet: [email-masked]
  408-463-2956, fax ...-3114