Subject: RE: (SC22WG20.866) Multiscript Ordering -- Survey on a fundamental issue

From: Miles Ellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 10:28:41 +0000

Alain,

You asked the following question:

> 1) Is it acceptable, in an eventual international standard on multiscript
>    ordering, to constrain applications to separate different scripts
>    (ex.: Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Han, Thai, Arabic, Hebrew, and so on) into
>    different fields to be compared, so that only one script set would be
>    processed at a time?

By coincidence, we had a meeting of the UK i18n panel last week and, during
the discussion of the WG20 program of work, this very issue was raised.  Our
feeling, I believe, was that although we could not see any major requirement
for the ordering of several scripts at once we would expect any ordering
standard to permit such a procedure.

So the answer to your first question, from a UK perspective, is NO.

Sorry if this makes things harder, but then no-one ever said writing standards
was easy!

Miles

***************************************************************************** 
*                                                                           *
*    From:  Miles Ellis                                                     *
*           Director:  Educational Technology Resources Centre              *
*           University of Oxford                                            *
*           37 Wellington Square, Oxford  OX1 2JF                           *
*                                                                           *
*           Telephone: +44 865 270528      Fax: +44 865 270527              *
*           Email: [email-masked]                                *
*                                                                           *
*                                                                           *
*    "Don't let the b*****s get you down!"   (Michael Mates, MP)            *
*                                                                           *
*****************************************************************************