Subject: Ordering required in DSSL - ISO 10179

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Feb 94 17:47:00 -0500

----------
I have received the following message from Mr.  James Clark, working on DSSL.
I transmitted some useful information you already have all, and I offered him
to contact us if they wanted a liaison between SC22/WG20 and his group.  I
pointed him the Canadian ordering stnadrad, the POSIX model (9945-2), the annex
of the Framework model edited in Gentofte on ordering, the International NP,
the disposition of comments on it and soem email discussions.  It was too long
to copy all this to you all as it would have annoyed those who already have
this.

Alain
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 10:01:40 GMT
From: [email-masked] (James Clark)
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: Alain LaBonte <[email-masked]>
Subject: Sorting

Glenn Adams mentioned to me that you had developed a good algorithm
for doing culturally expected sorting.  I was wondering if there was
anything on it you could send me on it.

I'm working on DSSSL (ISO 10179), and I believe we're currently
planning to use the same scheme as HyTime (ISO 10744, clause 6.5.2.2)
This uses lists of integers as sort keys, and allows you to associate
them with sequences of characters.  Glenn said this was inadequate for
real-world data.  If you could think of some concrete examples of
important cases that this scheme can't handle, that would be very
useful.

James Clark
[email-masked]