Subject: Re: (XoJIG 1251) new POSIX locales

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 11:15:48 CST

I have looked at the new locales -- mainly en_DK, since other locales
are dependent on this locale. This is what I have found:

 - there are multiple escape_char and comment_char definitions
 - collating symbols are defined, but not used
 - en_DK contains a copy "en_DK" for LC_CTYPE

See comments below.

 From: [email-masked] (Keld J|rn Simonsen)
 Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 03:32:54 +0100
 
 Changes to the locales provided by Keld Simonsen.
 
 Gary Miller pointed out a couple of errors in the submitted
 locales, these have now been corrected. The errors corrected are:
 
 1. collating-symbols cannot have weights, these have been
    removed for the collating-symbols [a-z]8
 
The weights have been removed, but the symbols are still there and
are not used anywhere. These should be removed for tidiness.

 2. four collating-elements did not have a definition, <aM-> <aH->
    <ah-> and <ah.> (these were used in Arabic Lam-alef ligature
    collating specification) - these references have been removed.
 
 I then met Gary and Alain LaBonte' in Tokyo and I was asked to 
 bring the locales in line with the Canadian collating standard.
 This was done, and this gives a number of changes:
 
 3. the order-start now specifies forward;backward;forward;position
 
 4. all 4 levels are now defined, probably with IGNORE if so needed.
    That is all letters have got the 4th level as IGNORE, some
    scripts have got IGNORE on level 2 and 3. Ligatures and other
    alphabetic specifications with previous specifications on level 4
    have changed their specifications, to differ at a higher level.
    Digits are also addressed with this change.
 
 5. The specific weightings of the Canadian standard has been applied.
    The diacritics are thus aligned with the Canadian standard and with
    further specifications from Alain LaBonte'. The special characters
    from the Canadian standard are now ordered this way.
 
 6. The administrative information for each locale is brought in line
    with the current draft of the CEN locale registration standard.
 
 7. The Cyrillic letter <DS> (looking like a latin S) changed 
    place, according to CEN information.
 
 The locales are available by ftp from dkuug.dk in the directory
 i18n for a couple of days, so people can inspect them and
 hopefully advise me of any errors before I submit them to Vic Goddard.
 
See above.

 Keld
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Gary W. Miller              Internet - [email-masked]
   IBM D04/906 ZIP 9652        X/Open   - [email-masked]
   11400 Burnet Road           VNET     - AUSTIN(GWM) / GWM at AUSTIN
   Austin, Texas 78758         UUCP:    - ...!uunet!aixsm!miller
   Phone: (512) 838-8297       Fax:	(512) 838-8374 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------