Subject: new POSIX locales

From: [email-masked] (Keld J|rn Simonsen)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 03:32:54 +0100

Changes to the locales provided by Keld Simonsen.

Gary Miller pointed out a couple of errors in the submitted
locales, these have now been corrected. The errors corrected are:

1. collating-symbols cannot have weights, these have been
   removed for the collating-symbols [a-z]8

2. four collating-elements did not have a definition, <aM-> <aH->
   <ah-> and <ah.> (these were used in Arabic Lam-alef ligature
   collating specification) - these references have been removed.

I then met Gary and Alain LaBonte' in Tokyo and I was asked to 
bring the locales in line with the Canadian collating standard.
This was done, and this gives a number of changes:

3. the order-start now specifies forward;backward;forward;position

4. all 4 levels are now defined, probably with IGNORE if so needed.
   That is all letters have got the 4th level as IGNORE, some
   scripts have got IGNORE on level 2 and 3. Ligatures and other
   alphabetic specifications with previous specifications on level 4
   have changed their specifications, to differ at a higher level.
   Digits are also addressed with this change.

5. The specific weightings of the Canadian standard has been applied.
   The diacritics are thus aligned with the Canadian standard and with
   further specifications from Alain LaBonte'. The special characters
   from the Canadian standard are now ordered this way.

6. The administrative information for each locale is brought in line
   with the current draft of the CEN locale registration standard.

7. The Cyrillic letter <DS> (looking like a latin S) changed 
   place, according to CEN information.

The locales are available by ftp from dkuug.dk in the directory
i18n for a couple of days, so people can inspect them and
hopefully advise me of any errors before I submit them to Vic Goddard.

Keld