Subject: Discussion group on PC Arabization formed

From: [email-masked] (Dominic Dunlop)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 92 10:34:08 BST

The following appears in the Winter 1992 edition of REACH -- Research
and Educational Applications of Computers in the Humanities, published
by the Humanities Computing Facility at the University of California at
Santa Barbera.  (REACH can be received automatically in electronic form
free of charge by sending an e-mail message to [email-masked],
with a body consisting of

	subscribe reach "your name"

with your own name, not your e-mail address, in place of "your name",
and without the quotation marks.)  I quote the material without
permission, since the newsletter carries no copyright information, nor
notice that permission should be sought.  I trust that this use of its
material is OK with the newsletter's producers.

I am bringing the article to the attention of two mailing lists
concerned with worldwide standards for internationalization in the hope
that there is scope for some useful interchange of ideas between
interested parties -- even if international work centres on
UNIX/POSIX/X Window, while the new list is concerned with PCs.
Certainly, the international work would benefit from input from those
who use Arabic; and perhaps the Arabic community would welcome
information on, for example, the universal character set of draft
international standard 10646.  I do not myself subscribe to the new
list, but you may be interested in doing so, or in obtaining further
information about it.

-- Begin quoted material --

Discussion Group on Arabization formed

Computing humanists engaged in studies in Arabic language and
literature will be interested to learn of the new electronic discussion
group PCARAB-L, based at King Faisal University in Hofuf, Saudi
Arabia.

The e-mail addresses of the group and its list server are:

	[email-masked]
	[email-masked]

The group explores various aspects of Arabization on the PC.  Topics
include the characteristics of Arabic software currently on the market,
possibilities for the standardization of the Arabic character set, and
ideas about Arabization techniqies and fonts.

To subscribe to the group, send an e-mail message to the address of the
list-server containing the single line:

	subscribe pcarab-l "your name"

with your own name, not your e-mail address, in place of "your name",
and without the quotation marks.

For further information on the new discussion group, please communicate
with the founder:
	
	Yasser A. Zaki
	[email-masked]

-- End quoted material --

Should subscribers to pcarab-l wish to obtain information about or
subscribe to the internationalization mailing list, they should send
mail to [email-masked].  This is an open list.

The X/Open / UniForum Joint Internationalization Working Group list is
more restricted in its distribution, being confined mainly to those
actively engaged in the standardization of internationalization for
either of the sponsoring organizations, or with the international
organization for standardization (ISO).  However, those who require
more information may contact [email-masked].
---
Dominic Dunlop