Subject: Re: (XoJIG 414) (i18n.136) Re: (SC22WG14.165) Re: support for symbolic character names

From: Keld J|rn Simonsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 92 01:56:30 +0100

Walt Daniels writes a comment to a mail of mine:

> >If o/ denotes o-with-stroke I could write:
> >
> >          if (c == '\<o/>') ....
> >Keld

> That looks like a perfectly legal character string without any
> mneumonic interpretation.  How do you distinguish?  I presume you add
> a new character to those whose escaping has a special significance, but
> it is certainly not a compatible change.

Well, it is not a character string, but an integer character constant.
Furthermore, my ISO C standard says that a "<" after a backslash
is undefined, so it is *not* perfectly legal, neither in character
constants, nor in string literals.

> Besides which the "trend" is supposed to be to write internationalized
> programs, instead of localized programs.  One of the rules of
> internationalized programs is that literal strings must be in message
> catalogs or some such.

Well, this could also be applied to message catalogues, making them
more portable...

Keld