Subject: Standard names in locales

From: [email-masked] (Walt Daniels)
Date: 25 Nov 1991 14:24:18 EST

The names of territories and languages need to be ISO standards
to make POSIX locales useful.

Updates to ISO 3166 (country codes) include the following.  Whoever is
maintaining this list is NOT doing us a service.  Codes may not be
deleted or changed.  You can only add to the list or any archival
information is garbage.  I would not be surprised if the same thing
did not happen to the language codes.  All the arguments about
changing codepoints of characters apply here.  You can only add to
codepoints without changing the version number of the standard and
even that is dicey.
-------
Newsletter III-1, 1989-12-5:
  Burma deleted, Myanmar added (same numeric value, change of country name)
Newsletter III-2, 1990-07-16
  Namibia, changing information not included in this file
Newsletter III-3, 1990-08-14
  Afghanistan, changing information not included in this file
Newsletter III-4, 1990-08-14
  Ethiopia, changing information not included in this file
Newsletter III-5, 1990-08-14
  Fiji, changing information not included in this file
Newsletter III-6, 1990-08-14
  Hungary, changing information not included in this file
Newsletter III-7, 1990-08-14
  Unification of Yemen, under new numeric code
Newsletter III-8, 1990-08-14
  Romania, changing information not included in this file
Newsletter III-9, 1990-08-14
  Poland, changing information not included in this file
Newsletter III-10, 1990-08-14
  Kampuchea deleted, Cambodia added (same numeric value, change of name)
Newsletter III-11, 1990-08-14
  Benin, changing information not included in this file
Newsletter III-12, 1990-12-04
  Czechoslovakia, changing information not included in this file
Newsletter III-13, 1990-10-30
  Germany unified (DDR deleted, new name and numeric code for unified Germany)