Subject: SC22WG20 resolutins from Sunnyvale meeting

From: Keld J|rn Simonsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 91 21:05:05 +0100

Resolutions of SC22/WG20 (Internationalization)		SC22/WG20 N044
		Sunnyvale, CA 11-14 November 1991

Resolution 1: Email

SC22/WG20 thanks K. Simonsen for his work setting up the SC22/WG20
email distribution list ([email-masked]) and encourages member
bodies to use this mechanism to expedite the work of this committee.

Resolution 2: Formal Specification Techniques

SC22/WG20 recognizes the advantages of using formal specification
techniques for its work and requests member bodies to submit
comments on the applicability of different formal techniques for
particular projects before NP approval.

Resolution 3: Issue Processing

SC22/WG20 expresses interest in adopting an issue processing model
similar to the process used in SC21 and SC24 and requests J. McConnell
to submit further documentation on these processes.

Resolution 4: Call for Editors

SC22/WG20 notes that the necessary position of project editor is vacant
for several proposed projects.  SC22/WG20 therefore requests member
bodies to consider volunteers for these projects and to be prepared
with names of candidates for the next SC22/WG20 meeting.

Resolution 5: Basis for Work

SC22/WG20 recognizes that the following documents are significant
documents for its work:

	Document No.		Title
	==================================================

	JTC1 N1335		TSG-1 Final Report
	TR10176			Guidelines for the Preparation of
				Programming Language Standards
	SC22 N623		Requirements for Character Handling
				in Programming Languages
	SC22/WG15 N212		Guidelines for POSIX National Profiles
	SC22 N1063		ISO/IEC 9945-2.2 CD POSIX Shell
				and Utilities

Resolution 6: Other Organizations

SC22/WG20 intends to gather input from other organizations that are
working on internationalization.  Organizations which care about those
issues.  Therefore SC22/WG20 will make an inventory of those
organizations.  Member bodies are requested to enrich this list with
such organizations about which they are aware.

Resolution 7: Subdivided Project

In response to requests from SC22 and SC22/WG15, SC22/WG20 proposes
that its current project be subdivided to address the following topics:

	o A standard specification techniques for cultural elements
	  relevant to the work of JTC1 (for example, locale and
	  charmap formats)

	o A standard collection of such cultural elements

	o A standard registration method for cultural elements (either
	  for additional cultures or for new cultural elements)

	o An standard international ordering on character strings
	  using the ISO 10646 repertoire

Resolution 8: Requirements and Framework

SC22/WG20 plans to produce a document that describes Requirements
and a Reference Model for Internationalization.

Resolution 9: New Projects

SC22/WG20 proposes new projects (NP) on the following topics:

	o An Addendum to TR10176 on Guidelines for International-
	  ization, Localization, and Character Handling (including
	  ISO 10646)

	o Short, mnemonic character names

Resolution 10: Character Set Conversion

SC22/WG20 notes that CEN/CENELEC has existing projects on character set
conversion and requests K. Simonsen to investigate and report on the
status of this work.  SC22/WG20 plans to discuss character set
conversion in its Requirements and Reference Model for
Internationalization.

Resolution 11: Questionnaire

SC22/WG20 notes with approval the work of the WG15 I18N rapporteur
group to develop a questionnaire on internationalization and encourages
the group to distribute their questionnaire quickly so that SC22/WG20
can use the results of the questionnaire as one of the inputs for its
Requirements and Reference Model for Internationalization.  Also,
SC22/WG20 requests its technical experts comment on the questionnaire
by 1 March 1992.

Resolution 12: Harmonization

SC22/WG20 recognizes the work already being done by other groups and
intends to harmonize its work with the work of these groups where
liaisons to WG20 are established.

Resolution 13: Liaisons

SC22/WG20 approves the following liaisons:

	Organization		Liaison
	==================================================
	SC22/WG15		K. Simonsen

SC22/WG20 requests its liaisons to submit brief written reports on
their liaison activities before each SC22/WG20 meeting.

Resolution 14: Response to Japan

SC22/WG20 shares Japan's view expressed in SC22/N785 on the importance
of internationalization and appreciates your support of, and
participation in, this work.

Internationalization is, as you note, related to several SCs.  The
relationship to SC22 is, however, particularly strong.  SC22, its scope
clarified at the recent Madrid meeting, is responsible for Programming
Languages, their environments and the system software interfaces that
will provide much of the internationalization functionality.  WG20, as
part of SC22, expects to be an effective part of the standards world,
providing needed standardization for internationalization on a timely
basis.

Resolution 15: Response to U.K. Comments

SC22/WG20 appreciates the support of the U.K. in its work and has noted
in resolution 5 that the TSG-1 Final Report is one of its significant
inputs.

Resolution 16: Response to SC22/WG15 Liaison Statement

SC22/WG20 believes that item one from resolution 176 of the SC22/WG15
Resolutions from the November 1991 meeting is POSIX specific and more
appropriately and efficiently handled by SC22/WG15.  SC22 has
incorporated items two and three into its plan of work.

Resolution 17: Future Meetings

SC22/WG20 approves the following meeting locations and times:

	Date			Location
	==================================================	
	20-24 April 1992	Paris, France
	19-23 October 1992	Quebec, Canada

Member bodies are requested to distribute documents for discussion at
these meetings at least 6 weeks before the meeting dates.

Resolution 18: Thanks to Convener/Host

SC22/WG20 thanks its convener, R. Weaver, for organizing this first
meeting of SC22/WG20.

Resolution 19: Thanks to Minute Takers/Drafting Committee

SC22/WG20 thanks the following people for their assistance during
the meeting:

	A. Drudis		Minute Taker (Tuesday)
	J. McConnell		Minute Taker (Monday & Thursday)
	A. Winkler		Minute Taker (Wednesday)
	M. Vermeulen		Chair

Resolution 20: Invited Guests

SC22/WG20 thanks the following guests for their attendance and
presentations to the group:

	G. Miller		X/Open I18N
	J. van Stee		Unicode
	M. Ksar			ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2