Subject: Re: (XoJIG 369) (i18n.124) Re: (XoJIG 358) RIN locale papers

From: Donn Terry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 91 08:16:35 MST

>> Being British, I'd be a little more circumspect than Keld:

>> > The locale papers distributed was discussed at the RIN meeting in Sweden
>> > this week. There were several comments to them, including:
>> > ...
>> > 3. the name of the locale should be at most 14 characters
>> > long - this length problem could also be solved by using directories.

>> I'd like to emphasize that this was just a comment from one expert.
>> There was no consensus in the group that such a length limitation was
>> practical or desirable.  (I, for one, remember visiting this issue a
>> long time ago in a UniForum i18n working group meeting -- Dallas, 89?)

>I remember the discussion otherwise. I heard Hal, Donn, Randall and me
>sharing the concern about lenghty names, that seemed like a concensus
>to me. I also heard Dominics comments on using directories -
>that was just one expert, but I recorded it in the XoJIG message
>anyway, as it was not contradicted.

I do not remember saying anything on this topic, either.  Further, if it
came up at all (a lot happened those three days) I am sure that I didn't
say much.  However, silence should NOT be taken as assent (or dissent).

Donn

P.S. The reader should note that I have not made any comment as to the
technical content reflected herein!