Subject: Re: (i18n.121) Re: (XoJIG 356) RIN working guidelines for creating locales

From: Donn Terry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 91 11:09:10 MST

Concerning the note below.  If I remember correctly, it was decided that
the <D><K><K> notation was in fact confusing and not of real service to the
user, in that there is no gain in either portability or understandability.
It was determined that as long as such strings were in the minimal
character set (ISO 646 Invariant), and did not present syntatic problems,
that they should be coded in that way.

(One has to take as a given that the localedef file is coded in a character
set that the processor understands (which probably implies translation when
the actual codesets differ).  Since 646 Invariant is the common subset 
assumed by POSIX, it is just as safe to use those characters in the data
of the localedef as it is to use it in the syntax.  (That is, the characters
used in the data also appear in the keywords.)

(Since an isolated comma would present a syntatic problem, it is denoted by
a formal name.  It could also be done as "," (I think).)

Donn Terry

>As (Keld J|rn Simonsen) writes:

>> Title:	Guideline for producing a national POSIX locale
>> Source:	Danish Standards Association
>> Date:	1991-11-09
>> Status:	Working guideline; to be revised at next RIN meeting

>> LC_MONETARY

>> int_curr_symbol         "DKK "
>> currency_symbol         "kr."
>> mon_decimal_point	  <,>

>Dear Mr. Keld,

>I'm a novice for localedef. So if my comment is improper, just
>let me know it.

>In localedef source, it will be better to use symbolic names
>instead of character itself.

>So, how about to use "<D><K><K><space>" instead of "DKK " ?

>And how about to use the notation <comma>,<period> instead of
><,>,<.> ?