Subject: Re: (XoJIG 358) (i18n.118) RIN locale papers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1991 10:11:48 +0000

Being British, I'd be a little more circumspect than Keld:

> The locale papers distributed was discussed at the RIN meeting in Sweden
> this week. There were several comments to them, including:
> ...
> 3. the name of the locale should be at most 14 characters
> long - this length problem could also be solved by using directories.

I'd like to emphasize that this was just a comment from one expert.
There was no consensus in the group that such a length limitation was
practical or desirable.  (I, for one, remember visiting this issue a
long time ago in a UniForum i18n working group meeting -- Dallas, 89?)
> ...
> 5. RIN adopted the "locale guidelines" as a working guideline,
> that is we will try it out and Canada promised to work on
> a Canadian locale based on the paper.

My understanding is that Canada agreed specifically to investigate the
use of ``replace after'' in defining collating sequences.  (See mail
list posting SC22WG15RIN.175 -- proposal for modifying collation
sequences).  That said, I would expect that Canada would observe the
new Guidelines.

-- 
Dominic Dunlop