Subject: Re: data announcement

From: [email-masked] (Erik M. van der Poel)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 14:31:28 +0900

>   It would be highly inappropriate for this change proposal to be put
> through POSIX because POSIX is chartered to standardise "existing
> practice in historical UN*X systems" -- not CHANGE existing practice.

I'm not sure that this is true, Randall. POSIX seems to me to be doing
all sorts of "new" things. Some of these ideas are borrowed from
proprietary systems, but these ideas are not always implemented on
everyone's system, so that really makes "existing practice" a rather
relative term.

Also, if POSIX adds a new system call (new_open, or whatever), they
aren't changing the existing practice of the open() system call.

> it isn't clear to me how any of this
> relates to either ISO 10646 or UNICODE or SMTP Mail.  

Data announcement came up as a topic of discussion in both the 10646
and Unicode lists. Also, I'm not sending these messages to the SMTP
list.

> Further discussion probably belongs elsewhere.

Such as?

EvdP