Subject: SGFS N1379

From: Willem Wakker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 96 12:21:51 N

Proposed TR10000-3 Taxonomy additions for SC22 POSIX based Profiles

Scenario/relationship positioning of PSE variants:

The POSIX Application Environment Profiles are developed with 
application software portability at the source code level for specific 
environments as their objective.  Source code portability requires 
specification of at least one computer language as well as the 
interfaces defined in the POSIX standards, so these profiles typically 
include computer languages, and potentially include API's (Application 
Program Interface) for other services beyond the operating system 
(communications, database access, graphics, etc.) All of these 
profiles include a normative reference to IS 9945-1, the POSIX System 
Interface API.
There are four major segments defined here: the Interactive Systems 
Environment, two High Performance Application Environments and a set 
of Real Time Application Environments. The interactive system 
environment corresponds with the traditional multi-user operating 
system set of services, with language development in C (or Ada as an 
alternative).
The real time environments range from embedded real time applications 
(settop devices, guidance control systems, etc.) which might not have 
any "rotating media", with steps up to a full blown environment that 
includes all of the "interactive systems environment" and expands it 
to include most of the real time options as well.

		Title of Work				Reference document
								from IEEE

PSE 01-HIP	Interactive Systems Environment Profile		1003.18
PSE 10-HIP	Supercomputing Application Environment Profile	1003.10
PSE 14-HIP	Multiprocessor Application Environment Profile	1003.14
		
PSE 51-P	Minimal Realtime System Profile			1003.13
PSE 52-P	Realtime Controller System Profile		1003.13
PSE 53-P	Dedicated Realtime System Profile		1003.13
PSE 54-IP	Multipurpose Realtime System Profile		1003.13