Subject: Re: (SC22.877) sc7 terms of reference

From: Isak KORN - System Administration <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 20:50:34 +01

Dear All,

   It is not quite true, when Keld writes, that he has seen the SC7 counter-
   part within CEN to take over POSIX, C, etc, etc. 

   First of all, and perhaps the most interesting difference, is within
   the scope of the CEN committee. Since, probably, Keld is thinking about
   the CEN/TC311 committee which has a title:

   Information Systems Engineering(!), and nor Software Engineering, and
   of course the OS services are a part of the running system. Another
   thing is that within CEN structure, there is no other committees to
   take care of the European needs, within mentioned areas of ISO standar-
   dization (CEN have not a counterpart to the JTC1/SC22 committee), there-
   fore, both the EU Commission and the CEN asked the CEN/TC311 committee
   about those areas, and since they are closely related to the work done
   in the TC311 (else, please Keld give us a proposal of which of the
   others CEN committees could take this part into their program - it has
   to be an existing committee, since CEN are not interrested to establish
   yet another committee without 'bon de commande' fro the Commission).

I have no more comments, since above is self explanatory.

Best regards to all of the SC7, SC22, TC311 people, involved in this work.

Isak KORN - chair of the national SC22 panel, chair of CEN/TC311, vice-chair
            the national SC7 panel, and chair of the national SC21/WG3 (Data-
            bases) panel.