Subject: SC24 liaison report from SC18 Plenary, May'4-8

From: "Leszek KOTSCH, OSAG (@KAR), DTN:777-0210" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 92 21:28:50 MET DST

The    following    summarizes    the    activities     and
        "accomplishments" of the 12th SC18 plenary:

         o  Some 50 "technical" resolutions passed, as follows:

             -  WG5  name  change  (to  Generic  Content  Notations  and
                Transforms) and new terms of reference

             -  TOSCA (Text and Office Systems Colour Architecture) name
                change   to   Generic   Architecture   for  Colour  Data
                Interchange

             -  Essentially  the  U.S.   proposal  on   ISO   publishing
                procedures  for  ODA-based  document  submittal  (a  new
                processable-only DAP for ODA documents conformant to  TR
                9573, the DTD for ISO publishing)

             -  Jon Cunnyngham (US) as acting (1 year) convenor of WG5

             -  Jon Stewart (US, DEC)  as  Rapporteur  of  Generic  Data
                Interchange/Interface (GDID) for Documents

             -  HyTime approved to  advance  to  International  Standard
                (ISO 10744)

             -  Convenors approved for WG1 (Charles Doty,  US/IBM),  WG3
                (Steve  Price,  UK;  sponsored  by DEC through BSI), WG8
                (James Mason)

             -  Progression (CD to DIS,  or  DIS  to  IS,  depending  on
                status)  of  DSSSL  (2nd  DIS  ballot), fonts, ODA audio
                content, abstract interface for ODA documents,  abstract
                definition  of  SGML-B(inary),  cursor control for forms
                entry  and  spreadsheets,  HyperODA,   MOTIS/MHS,   SGML
                support  (9537-7,8,12,14,15  =  math/chemistry,  tables,
                entity sets  for  publishing  and  Latin  and  non-Latin
                alphabets),  SMDL  (Standard Music Description Language,
                CD 10743)

         o  "Appreciation" resolutions for (some) --

             -  Mary Anne Gray/Lawler  --  former  Chair  of  SC18,  now
                "promoted"  to  Chair  JTC1;  replaced by Tom Frost, ATT
                (acting chair for the last year,  now  approved  as  new
                SC18 chair)

             -  Ben Ho -- retiring  WG5  Convenor,  super  chef,  master
                standards politico

             -  Roy Pierce  --  acting  chair  of  WG1  for  last  year,
                replaced by Charlie Doty (IBM)

             -  Sune Svderlind for his work as rapporteur of the symbols
                SWG within WG9

         o  SC24 liaison statements are received and distributed  to  WGs
            for response --

             -  WG1 will collocate  its  meeting  with  SC24  Plenary  at
                Chimesee,

             -  WG3 will discuss SC24 related issues / liaison statements
                during  its  July  meeting; they are unable to be at SC24
                Plenary due to schedule meeting in Japan in the same time
                frame