Subject: SC24 Bordeaux Resolutions

From: Chris Cartledge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 18:55:33 +0100 (BST)

Colleagues,

The following is based upon my voting copy NOT the final text and has been
scanned in from paper (due to my lack of thought in Bordeaux).  I have
edited to match the final version where possible.  I am sure there are
ommisions and errors but I hope it is better to have some information than
none.  I hope you find it useful.

All the resolutions were passed unanimously by the eleven nations present 
and voting.

Regards 

Chris

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 Resolutions

I. PROGRAMME OF WORK

1. Project Status 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 approves the programme of work and project editors as
listed in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N1198.

2. Documents for Study and Comment 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 requests National Bodies to study and comment on the
following documents: 

Doc. No. Title	Deadline (W-mm)
SC24 N1183 GKS-94 Binding to Fortran 90 WD	94-09
           GKS-94 Part 3:Audit Trail	        95-04
           GKS-94 Part 4ÄPicture Part Archive	95-04

3. Documents for CD/PDAM Registration 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 approves the following documents for CD/PDAM
registration: 

Doc. No.	Title
SC24 N1190	PREMO Part 1
SC24 N1191	PREMO Part 2
SC24 N1205	Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 2ÄEnhanced Control
SC24 N1206	Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 3ÄEnhanced Control
SC24 N1209	Amendment 4 to PHIGS Part 2ÄRegistration Items
SC24 N1210	Amendment 4 to PHIGS Part 3ÄRegistration Items
SC24 N1211	CGM Am. 3: Use of CGM in MHS/MOTIS
SC24 N1213	GKS Part 2: NDC metafile

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 approves the following documents for CD registration,
subject to the following conditions: 

Doc. No. Title	             Conditions
SC24 N1184 PHIGS Am2 Binding to C Text revised to match the 
                                  functional specification
	    GKS-94 Fortran 90     Text revised according to 
                                  National-Body comment

4. Documents for Publication 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to forward the following documents to ITTF for
final publication as Internationa Standards, subject to the following
conditions: 

Doc No./Title		                          Conditions
DIS 7942-1: 1994/ GKS-94 Functional Specification
DIS 8651-4/ GKS-94 Binding to C                   Text to be revised 
                                                  according to the 
                                                  disposition of comments
		                                  contained in SC24 N1163
DIS 9638-3/ CGI Binding to Ada	                  Text to be revised 
                                                  according to the 
                                                  disposition of comments
	                                          contained in SC24 N1115
DIS 9973/ ISO Procedures	                  Text to be revised 
for Registration of Graphical Items               according to the 
                                                  disposition of comments 
                                                  contained in SC24 N1217

5. Progression to DAM
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to forward the following documents to ISO 
Central Secretariat for DAM Letter ballot:

Doc No 	Title
SC24 N1201 Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 1 - Direct Interpretation (formerly 
                                         non-retained data)
SC24 N1202 Amendment 1 to PHIGS Part 4 - Direct Interpretation (formerly 
                                         non-retained data)
SC24 N1201 Amendment 4 to PHIGS Part 1 - Enhanced input

6. Delegation of Autority
a. To WG4
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 delegates authority to WG4 to forward the final text of 
12088-4, IPI Binding to C, to JTC1 for publication as an International 
Standard.  The text should be revised according to the disposition of 
comments contained in SC24/WG4 N231 and circulated to WG4 for a 4 week 
review period.

b. To WG6 Convener
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 delegates auhority to the WG6 Convener to approve 
the following documents for DAM.  Upon successful incorporation of 
the results of the PDAM comments, the SC24 secretariat will forward 
the following documents to ISO Central Secretariat for DAM letter 
ballot:

Doc No.    Title
SC24 N1204 Amendment 3 to PHIGS Part 1 - Enhanced Control
SC24 N1207 Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 1 - Enhanced Control
SC24 N1208 Amendment 6 to PHIGS Part 1 - Registration Items
SC24 N1205 Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 1 - Enhanced Control
SC24 N1206 Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 1 - Enhanced Control
SC24 N1209 Amendment 4 to PHIGS Part 1 - Registration Items
SC24 N1210 Amendment 4 to PHIGS Part 1 - Registration Items

c.To WG7
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 dlegates authority to WG7 to make decisions regarding 
progression of the following work.  The delegated decisions are to be 
made during the WG7 meeting to be held in October 1994:

Doc No.             Title                   Action
ISO/IEC 12087-4     IPI-PIKS DTC            registration as a CD
ISO/IEC 12089-1     IPI-IIF ASN.1 Encoding  forward the final text to ITTF 
                                            for publication as IS    
ISO/IEC 12089-2     IPI-IIF Binary Encoding registration as a CD
ISO/IEC DAM 12087-3 IPI-IIF Am.1            forward the final text to ITTF 
                                            for publication as IS    

7. Abandonment of Projects
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to delete the following items from its programme 
of work at its next plenary meeting unless an editor volunteers:

Project No.               Title
1.24.02.10                GKS-94 Binding to Ada

8. Withdrawal of Technical Report
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 asks the ISO Central Secretariat to withdraw the 
document TR9973 on publication fo the ISO/IEC 9973 standard.

9. Processing Comments on Registration Proposals
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 requests the SC24 secretariat to forward the Summary of
Voting and Comments on future Registration Proposal Letter Ballots to
Sponsoring Authorities of the proposals. The Sponsoring Authority shall
assign an expert within its member body to submit draft responses to the
Registration Rapporteur Group on all comments prior to the next
SC24WG4/Registration Rapporteur Group meeting. 

10. Progression of Registration Items
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 resolves that the graphical items contained in SC24
N1084 (excluding proposal #196 as modified by Disposition of Comments
contained in SC24 N1216, be forwarded by the SC24 secretariat 1 the
Registration Authority for inclusion in the ISO Register of Graphical
Items. These registered ite~ include Registration Proposals #199 - 217. 

11 . Withdrawal of Registration Items
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 resolves that the proposals contained in SC24 N967 be
withdrawn by the proposer light of the comments received and the fact that
the PHIGS Amendment in this area is scheduled for progression to DAM
status.  This includes Registration Proposals 155 - 191, 193 - 195.
Disposition Comments are contained in SC24 N1215. 

12. Registration Proposal 196  
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 delegates authority to its Registration Rapporteur to
resolve the outstanding UK comments c Registration Proposal #196
(Compression Type LZW) with the original proposer, draft a response to the
comment, and then forward the item (modified if necessary) to the
Registration Rapporteur to be entered in the ISO Register of Graphical
Items. 

13. Progression of GKS-94

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to progress GKS-94 as recorded in the minutes of
the GKS Rapporteur Gro~ SO~EC JTC1/SC24 N1221, in particular: 

. GKS-94 Part I (ISO/IEC 7942-1: 1994) to be published as specified in 
  Resolution 4;
. GKS Fortran (ISO/IEC 8651-1: 1988) to be retained with a technical 
  corrigendum;
. GKS-94 Fortran 90 (ISO/IEC 8651-5) to be progressed as a separate 
  binding document;
. GKS-94 C (ISO/IEC 8651-4:1994) (a superset of GKS-85 C, IS 8651-4:1991) 
  to be published as specified in resolution 4.

11. LIAISON

14. Appointment of External Liaison Officers ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 confirms
the following external liaison officers: 

Representative	Liaison to	Topic
P. ten Hagen	IMA		PREMO
A. Mumford	JTC1 SGFS	Functional Standardization & Profiles
P. ten Hagen	OMG		PREMO
D. Bernardini	SC1		Vocabulary
L. Kotsch	SC18		Textand Office Systems
L. Kotsch	SC1 8/WG4	Document Processing & Related Communication
S. Carson	SC18/WG8	Text Processing Languages
A. Ducrot	SC2		Character Sets & Coding
S.Carson	SC21		InformationRetrieval,Transfer&Managementfor OSI
M . Bakker	SC22/WG 14	C Language
G. Paquette	SC22/WG21	C++ Language
R. Puk		SC22/WG3	Ada Language
1. Grieger	SC22/WG5	Fortran Language
Ch. Blum	SC29		Coded Representation of Picture, 
                                Audio, & Multimedia/Hypermedia

15. Liaison Statements
SC24 approves the following liaison statements  from ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 to 
Other Organisations.

Doc No.		Recipeient   	    Subject
SC24 N1187	SC21/WG7	    Object Services
SC24 N1195	OMG & SC21/WG7	    Formal Description Techniques (FDTs)
SC24 N1196	OMG	    	    Object Technology in PREMO
SC24 N1197	JTC1	    	    Formal Description Techniques ~FDTs)
SC24 N1199	SC18/WG3	    CharacterSet Version

16. Response to Liaison Statements 
SC24 approves the following response to liaison statements from other
organizations: 

Doc. No. Organization	Subject
SC24 N1193 SC1 8/WG4	Body Parts for Message Handling Systems (MHS),
                        SC18 N4672

III. ADMINISTRATION

17. SC24 Chair 
SC24 encourages the US National Body to nominate G S Carson as SC24
Chairman. 

18. Disbanding of WG1 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to disband WG1 . SC24 agrees to reassign its work
from its terms of refere contained in the minutes of the WG1 Bordeaux
meeting (SC24 N1173) and as summarized in the follov table:   

Old WG1 Task	      			New Responsible Party
Maintenance of ISO 11072	        Project Editor
Maintenance of ISO 10641	        Project Editor
Management of External Liaisons	        SC24 Chair and Secretariat
Solicitation of User Requirements       Special Rapporteurs
Guidance of New Projects prior to       Existing WGs or a New WG, 
Specification Techniques	        General: Special Rapporteur/
                                        specific projects: by WGs
SC24 Internal Management Information	If done at all, by SC24 volunteers 
and Strategic Plan		        working by email 
					under direction of SC24 Chair

19. Appointment of Conveners 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 approves the following Conveners:

  WG Conveners        Group
   4 Ingolf Grieger       Language Bindings and Registration
   6 Paul ten Hagen      Multimedia Presentation and Interchange
   7 William Puckett~     Image Processing and Interchange

  ~ Subject to USA National Body nomination

20. Appointment of Rapporteurs 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 approves the following Rapporteurs:

  WG Rapporteur          Group
  4 M. Skall             Validation & Testing
  4 S. Sherrick          Registration
  6 A. Mumford           CGM
  6 K. Brodlie           GKS
  6 H. Stenzel           PREMO

21. Vacant Positions
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 notes that the following positions are vacant and 
requests Nation Bodies to submit nominations for candidates to full the 
positions.

WG6 Phigs Rapporteur
Liaison to TC130

22. Special Rapporteur for Graphical User Interfaces
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 accepts the report of the Special Rapporteur for GUI,
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N1114, and encourages WG6 to pursue the GUI proposal, as
outlined by the Rapporteur in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N1194 (Follow-Up on SC24
Study on GUls). 

23. Encouragement of Electronic Availability of Standards
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 encourages JTC1 to use its own standards (e.g., SGML,
CGM) for the storage and distribution of the text of ISO standards.
SC24/WG6/CGM RG experts are asked to investigate further. 

24. Encouragement to Use CGM in Network Tools
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 believes that CGM is the best format for the exchange of
picture information across networks. SC24 encourages the CGM RG to
investigate the use of CGM in network tools, including MIME and World Wide
Web. (Note that CGM is being progressed as a body part for MHS.)

25. Encouragement of Conformance Requirements in Standards
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 notes that the CGM RG work on profile rules reflects a
commitment to the need for conformance requirements in standards and a
basis for subsequent testing of implementations. SC24 encourages all WGs
and RGs to make these aspects an important part of their standards. 

26. Encouragement to Use Formal Description Techniques 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 actively endorses and encourages the use of formal
description techniques during the development of SC24 standards. 

27. Endorsement to Use Formal Description Languages in the Development 
of PREMO 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 endorses the use of the formal description language,
OBJECT-Z, in the development of PREMO. 

28. Publication of Formal Descriptions of SC24 Standards
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 encourages the publication of formal descriptions of
SC24 standards according to the guidelines in Annex F of JTC1 Directives,
Second Edition, 1992. This includes publication as an ISO Technical
Report, if the Formal Description is not published with the standard. 

29. Liaison Encouragement to Use Formal Description Techniques
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to forward the Report of the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC24
Special Rapporteur Group on Formal Description Techniques, SC24 N1152, to JTC
1 (for information) and to the appropriate liaisons (including OMG and
SC21/WG 7). 

30. Revision of JTC1 Directives
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 notes that the JTC1 directives are being updated.
Although the document, JTC1 N 2664, Revision of the JTC 1 Directives
Version 2, is still under review, its provisions are being followed. SC24
wishes to draw attention particularly to: 

. the provision for a 4 month period for DIS/DAM ballots, unless the JTC1 
  secretariat is advised otherwise;
. criteria for the use of defect procedures (14.4.2.3)(see UK input 
  ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N1088)

31. CGI Defects Editor 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 appoints Graham Reynolds as Defects Editor for CGI (IS
9636) and requests all National Bodies to nominate experts to the CGI
Defects Editing Group. 

32. Involvement of V&T Rapporteur 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees that the Validation and Testing Rapporteur should
continue to be included any team of experts reviewing the text of SC24
standards before the final submission of the text to ITl The V&T
RaDDorteur will coordinate editorial inDut from V&T expert on the final
text relatino to conformance.

33. 5-year Meeting Plan
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 adopts the following 5-year meeting plan:

Date (w-mm-dd)	Location
95-07-05 to 14	Ottawa, Canada
96-06 to 07	Japan
97-05 to 06	Sweden
98-06 to 07	UK
99	USA

See the Meeting Plan SC24 N1222.

34. Future Meetings
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 approves the meeting schedule contained in document SC24
N1214. 

IV APPRECIATION

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 thanks:

. its retiring Chairman, Barry Shepherd, for his long service to SC24;
. its retiring WG1 convener, Peter Bono, for his long service to SC24;
. its retiring WG7 convener, Detlef Kromker, for his long service to SC24;

. Christof Blum for his work as editor of ISO/IEC 12087 Part 3;
. Christine Hieaux for her work as the editor of the French version of 
  CGM:1992;
. Satoshi Kasai for his work as the editor of PHIGS PLUS/Fortran;     
. William Pratt for his work as editor of ISO/I EC 12087 Part 2;
. Richard Puk for his work as the editor of PHIGS PLUS/Ada;
. Lynne Rosenthal for her work as the editor of CGM:1992 Amendment 1;
. Susan Sherrick for her work as editor of the ISO Procedures for 
  Registration of Graphical Items;
. Steve Wampler for his work as the editor of PHIGS PLUS/C;
. Dave Larson for his work as PHIGS Defects Editor;

. Bill Clifford for his work as PHIGS rapporteur;
. Graham Reynolds for his work as special rapporteur on Formal Description 
  Techniques;
. Karl Soop for his work as special rapporteur on Graphical User Interfaces;
. Michelle Davis for her work as Registration Rapporteur;

. Steve Carson for standing in as SC24 Chair at the meeting;
. Christof Blum for standing in as WG7 Convener at the meeting;
.  Paul ten Hagen and Dick Puk for standing as rapporteurs at the meeting;
. AFNOR for hosting the meeting,
. IBM for providing meeting space;
. Jean-Michel Borde, Andre Ducrot, and Joel Quevat for their work as 
  local organizers;
. Christine Hieaux, Jean Stride, and Elaine Bono for the smooth operation 
  of the Secretariat;
. the drafting committee, Chris Cartledge, Karl Soop, Jerry Smith and Jean 
  Stride.

                                                    , ! - i_ !.

                                       .~'.i 3

                 Seen Rejected  Percentage

Characters       1601       11   99.31