Subject: SC 24 N2030 - WG 8 (SEDRIS) Meeting Announcement

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:56:09 -0600

Several people have told me they are having trouble accessing the
announcement on the SC 24 web site for the first WG 8 meeting starting next
Friday, 1 October. Here is a text version. We will try and get the MS Word
version on the SC 24 web site corrected as soon as we can.

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24 N2030
First Meeting
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24 Working Group 8 (Synthetic Environments)
Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA)
2001 N. Beauregard St., Alexandria, VA 22311-1772, USA
1 October - 5 October 1999
Meeting Announcement and Preliminary Agenda

Meeting
In anticipation that ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24 will approve a New Work Item for
standardization in the area of Synthetic Environments, and in accordance
with Resolution 4 of the SC24 Seoul meeting, SC 24 announces the first
meeting of its new Working Group 8, Synthetic Environments Study.  Should
the NP not be approved by SC 24 this meeting will instead be of the SC 24
Synthetic Environments Study Group.  WG 8 will meet from 0900 until 1700,
on Friday 1 October and Saturday 2 October 1999.  No meeting will be held
on Sunday 3 October 1999.  WG8 will meet again on from 0900 until 1700 on
Monday 4 October and from 0900 until 1500 on Tuesday 5 October.  Note that
all delegates must to be authorized by their National Bodies to attend the
meeting.

Location and Registration

Full details and registration instructions are contained in SC 24 N 2029.
If you intend to participate in the First WG8 Meeting, please send email to
the meeting organizer, Farid Mamaghani ( [email-masked] ) with a copy to
the SC 24 Secretariat, Jean Stride ( [email-masked] ).  If you
plan to make a presentation or provide a written contribution please
indicate that also.  Please bring at least 30 copies of any written
materials to the meeting with you.  Also, please comply with the meeting
registration requirements in SC 24 N 2029.

Background

At its June 1999 meeting in Seoul, Republic of Korea, SC 24 authorized the
continuation of its Study Group on Synthetic with the intent to convert the
Study Group into a new Working Group 8 at the appropriate time.  The
details are contained in the following Resolution of SC 24:

Resolution 4: SEDRIS Technology
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24 approves the following recommendations from the
Synthetic Environments Study Group :
1.	Work should proceed to prepare for development of an International
Standard in co-operation with the SEDRIS Organization as described in
documents SC 24 N2015 (Request for Category C Liaison Between the SEDRIS
Organization and JTC 1/SC 24), SC 24 N2014 (Co-operative Agreement between
ISO/IEC JTC 1 and the SEDRIS Organization), and SC 24 N 2010 (New Work Item
Proposal - Synthetic Environment Data Representation and Interchange
Specification (SEDRIS)).
2.	Whereas the only obstacle to proceeding with a SEDRIS standard appears
to be the verification that 5 National Bodies are willing to participate in
the work, that a period of one month be set aside to recruit participants.
3.	SC 24 should conduct a 30 day letter ballot on the SEDRIS NP (SC 24 N
2010).  This ballot should be completed by 1 August 1999.
4.	The Synthetic Environments Study Group be continued with K. Williams of
NIMA as its Rapporteur until the NP for the SEDRIS work is approved by
SC24.  Once the NP is approved by SC 24 and has been forwarded to JTC 1,
the Synthetic Environments Study Group recommends that SC 24 form a new WG
8 and that the SEDRIS work be assigned to that WG.
5.	Document SC 24 N2015 (Request for Category C Liaison Between the SEDRIS
Organization) be approved by SC 24 and forwarded immediately after this
meeting to JTC 1 for approval.
6.	Document SC 24 N2014 (Co-operative Agreement between ISO/IEC JTC 1 and
the SEDRIS Organization) be approved by SC 24 but not forwarded to JTC 1
until the SEDRIS NP (SC 24 N 2010) is approved by SC 24.  (Note: The intent
is that the NP and Co-operative Agreement be forwarded together to JTC 1.)
7.	The SC 24 Secretariat and Chairman draft a Scope and Terms of Reference
for the new WG8 and that this together with a call for nominations for a
Convener for the new WG be distributed to SC 24.

Draft Agenda

1. Welcome (0900 on Friday 1 October)
2. Roll call and introductions
3. Adoption on agenda
4. Appointment of acting WG 8 Convener
5. Report on status of SEDRIS NP, Cooperative Agreement, and category C
Liaison Request
6. Presentations by attendees
7. Review of Initial Drafts of SEDRIS standards
8. Discussion of recommendations to SC24
9. Any other business
10. Close (by 1500 on Tuesday 5 October)

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson       http://www.huntel.com/~carson/
GSC Associates     http://www.gscassociates.com/
5272 Redman Road   phone:+1-505-521-7399; fax:+1-505-521-9321
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA     e-mail:  [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------