Subject: Symposium on Standards for Imaging and Graphics

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:08:02 -0700

CALL FOR PAPERS

                Symposium on Standards for Imaging and Graphics

                               3-5 May 1999
                          Airlie Conference Center
                          Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Sponsored by:

	Eurographics
	IFIP WG 5.10
	Defense Information Systems Agency
	JTC 1 Imaging and Graphics Business Team
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
For the latest information please consult:

         http://www.globalcollaboration.org/jtc1/igbt/wsig.html

                 Submission Deadline  15 March 1999
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Program Committee
------------------ 
     Dr. Jean-François Abramatic, INRIA, France 
     Dr Ken Brodlie, University of Leeds, UK 
     Professor Don Brutzman, Naval Postgraduate School, USA 
     Dr. George S. Carson, GSC Associates, USA, Chairman 
     Professor Andries van Dam, Brown University, USA 
     Professor David A. Duce,Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK 
     Dr Andre Ducrot, INRIA Rocquencourt, France 
     Dr. David Duke,Department of Computer Science, University of York 
     Professor Jose Encarnaçao, Fraunhofer Institute, Germany 
     Professor Dieter W. Fellner, Braunschweig University of Technology,
Germany 
     Dr. John C. Gebhardt, InterCAP Graphics, USA 
     Drs. Paul ten Hagen, CWI, The Netherlands 
     Dr. Ivan Herman, CWI, The Netherlands 
     Dr. Wolfgang Herzner, Austrian Research Centres Seiberdorf, Austria 
     Professor F. R. A. Hopgood, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK 
     Professor Ha-Jine Kimn, Ajou University, Rep. of Korea 
     Mr. Chris Lilley, World Wide Web Consortium, France 
     Dr. Graham Reynolds, CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences,
Australia 
     Dr. Richard Puk, Intelligraphics Inc, USA 
     Mr. Jerry Smith, Defense Information System Agency, USA 
     Professor Nadia M. Thalmann, University of Geneva, Switzerland 
     Mr. Sakae Uno, IBM Japan, Japan 
     Mr. James VanLoo, Sun Microsystems, USA  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
                               SCOPE

The goal of the Symposium is to discuss future standardization activities
in all aspects of the functional specifications, formats and interfaces
used for or directly supporting interaction with and presentation of,
information, including but not limited to: 

	- computer graphics,
	- images and image processing,
	- single media, including animation, audio and video, and
	- multiple media.

These recommendations are expected to include:

	- areas where new standards could be developed; 
	- areas that are not yet suitable for standardization; 
	- supporting areas (such as models,compression techniques and
communication protocols) where new standards could be adopted.

Participation will be by invitation only based on a submitted position
paper. All accepted papers will appear in the Symposium Proceedings
published by Eurographics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
                         HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

The workshop will be patterned after the two successful workshops that
launched the last round of formal International Standards activities in
computer graphics: the 1974 workshop at NBS (now NIST) in the US organized
by Jim Foley and Ira Cotton on the Potential of Graphics Standards and the
1976 workshop sponsored by IFIP WG5.2 and convened by Richard Guedj in
Seillac, France to consider the Methodology of Graphics Standards.  The
SIGGRAPH Graphics Standards Planning Committee (GSPC) was formed at the
first of these workshops. Among those attending the second workshop were
William Newman, Tom Sancha, Martin Newell, Jose Encarnaçao, Jim Foley, Bert
Herzog, Alan Kay and Nick Negroponte.  Taken together, these two workshops
resulted in the formation of the first ISO committee to develop computer
graphics standards and in the work that led first to the GKS International
Standard and later to the PHIGS International Standard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                VENUE

Set in the tranquil Virginia countryside, the Airlie Conference Center and
the surrounding 3,000 acre campus provide a facility conducive to the
conduct of successful meetings. The Airlie Center is located near
Warrenton, Virginia, 50 miles southwest of Washington, DC, 30 minutes from
Dulles International Airport, and 1 hour from National Airport. For more
information visit their web site at:

	http://www.airlie.com. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             CALL FOR PAPERS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributed papers identifying opportunities where new standards within the
scope of the Symposium should be adopted, identifying areas where
standardization would be harmful, or describing practices or methods for
the effective development of timely and useful standards are solicited.
Both papers describing recent practice and experience as well as those
proposing new developments are welcome. By "standards" we mean both formal
or de-jure standards developed by internationally accredited organizations
(ISO, IEC, ITU, etc) as well as less formal standards or specifications
developed by Consortia, trade organizations or other entities (IETF, W3C,
etc.)

Submission Procedure
--------------------
Original unpublished papers of up to 20 pages (single-spaced, 12 point,
including figures, tables and references) are invited. Manuscripts must be
written in English. The first part of the paper should include a title, an
abstract, keywords, and author's information (name, title, affiliation,
address, phone and fax numbers, e-mail address). All papers will be
reviewed carefully by the International Program Committee members and by
external reviewers. 

Contributed papers should be submitted ftp (preferable), as an HTML URL or
by e-mail):

e-mail submissions: [email-masked]

ftp submissions:   ftp://globalcollaboration.org/WSIG

Please follow this procedure:

ftp globalcollaboration.org
username: anonymous
password: <your email address>
cd /WSIG
put <filename>

Acceptable formats are plain text, HTML, MS Word and PDF. In any case, you
should send an email to [email-masked] with the title
of the paper,  the authors with affiliation, the contact author, and either
the URL or the filename used for ftp. 

Important Dates
---------------

Submission deadline: 		15 March 1999 
Notification of acceptance: 	1 April 1999
Revised papers due:			15 April 1999
Symposium:				3-5 May 1999	

For more information, please contact: 

Dr. George S. Carson		[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---