Subject: Second "Proposal" from the Rennes meeting

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 14:23:41 -0600

This is the text of the MPEG-4 groups proposal to us during the Rennes
meeting. This is one of the two proposals referred to in the output
statement I circulated yesterday. This was written by Olivier Avaro, the
chairman of their systems ad hoc group.

- - -

How to construct a collaborative framework between MPEG and VRML?

Proposal (short term)

1. Textual format: A textual format is standardized in the VRML standard.
MPEG doesn't intend to utilize a textual format as only binary format have
normative value in MPEG.

2. Binary format: A binary format is standardised in the MPEG-4 standard.
MPEG offers to VRML the of use this binary format. VRML is also defining a
binary format. If VRML wishes, MPEG is ready to provide support to merge
the best features of the two format in a single specification.

3. Specification (1): Nodes and concepts defined by VRML and used by MPEG
will be documented in the MPEG-4 specification in the following way :
   - Semantics: 
Option 1: Self contained specification, 
Option 2: References with a pointer to the VRML spec.
   - Syntax is defined in the MPEG specification. Where the semantics are
the same, node names may be the same, if VRML wishes. MPEG has no
preference about it.

4. Specification (2): New nodes defined by MPEG will be documented in the
MPEG-4 specification in the following way:
   - The semantic is defined in the MPEG spec.,
   - The syntax is defined in the MPEG spec. 

MPEG invites VRML experts to collaborate in the definition of these new
concepts and nodes.

5. Specification (3): MPEG-4 will specify profiles to accommodate the needs
of its component communities.

Proposal (medium term) 

As a result of the better understanding which the two communities have
reached at the Rennes meeting, MPEG sees it as desirable that MPEG and VRML
converge at some point in the future.

Candidate areas for collaboration in the medium term are: 

- Definition of the semantics of new nodes (e.g. 2D, 2D/3D nodes, streaming
nodes), 
- Definition of the binary representation of new nodes (e.g. Scripts, . . .), 
- Definition of APIs (e.g. AAVS, . . .), 
- Definition of coded format for streamed audiovisual information (texture,
audio, mesh compression).

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------