Subject: SC 24/SC 29 (MPEG-4)/VRML Consortium Cooperation

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:48:23 -0600

1) I would like to get some indication from SC 24 NBs of how eager they are
to cooperate with SC 29 on MPEG-4 to help VRML be applied properly.
Secondly, I would like your opinions on the long term possibilities of
cooperating more closely with SC 29 along the general lines of
"functionality" being developed within SC 24 (with SC 29 participation as
appropriate) and "encodings" being developed within SC 29 (with SC 24
participation as appropriate).

2) To participate in the short term work we have agreed to do with MPEG-4,
you will need to get onto MPEG-4 Reflectors and/or VRML Consortium
reflectors. Here is the list of subjects and reflectors where the
discussions will take place, as well are as instructions for signing up to
both:

The work
--------

- Completion of common nodes and concepts: On the MPEG-4/VRML Consortium WG
reflector and on the MPEG-4 Systems BIFS reflector. (Subject CN :

- Completion of other nodes: On the MPEG-4 Systems BIFS reflector (Subject
: ON :

- Binary format:  On the VRML binary format WG reflector and on the MPEG-4
Systems BIFS reflector. (Subject : BF :

Joining the reflectors
----------------------

VRML Consortium:

Go to http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/  and then follow the link on that
page to the working group you wish to join. The information page on that
group will give directions on joining its mailing list.

MPEG-4:

AHG on Systems Working Draft Editing:
Reflector : [email-masked]
Subscription : send message to [email-masked] with the command «
subscribe » (without quotes) in the body of the message.
Unsubscription : send message to [email-masked] with the command «
unsubscribe » (without quotes) in the body of the message, followed by the
subscription address.

AHG on BIFS Scene Description:
Reflector : [email-masked]
Subscription : send message to [email-masked] with the command «
subscribe » (without quotes) in the body of the message.
Unsubscription : send message to [email-masked] with the command «
unsubscribe » (without quotes) in the body of the message, followed by the
subscription address.

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------