From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 08:42:38 CDT

At the SC24 Steamboat Spriings meeting, we need to see if there are one
or more volunteers from SC24 to take part in the meeting mentioned below.

 =========================================================================
 Date: Wednesday, 9 June 1993, 08:29:53 CDT
 From: Charlie Doty              [email-masked]   CDOTY    at DALHQIC2
 To:   BJSHEP at AUSVM6
 cc:   LWELSCH at NIST.GOV, GKHOLMAN at MSL.ISIS.ORG
       TFROST at ATTMAIL.COM
 OPTIONS: NOACK    LOG    SHORT    NOTEBOOK WG1

 Subject: August SWG 01 Meeting with SC29/WG12

 Included below is the text of a note I sent to Francoise Colaitis,
 Convener of WG12, with her responses inserted.

 In the interest of trying to keep everyone informed, I am EMailing to
 Barry, Larry, Ken and to Tom Frost (who has indicated he will attend the
 meeting), and faxing to Ed Wade, Dwight McBain and Geoff Stephenson.
 I have no EMail addresses for them.  Does anyone have an EMail address
 for Rita Brennan at Apple?  I would like to hear from those of you that
 I haven't spoken with in the past couple of days on 1) do you plan to
 attend the SWG 01 meeting in August, 2) how do you feel about a WG1
 meeting in Dallas in September and 3) how do you feel about a WG1
 including SWG01 meeting somewhere sometime in 4Q in lieu of a September
 meeting in Dallas.  As indicated in my note to Francoise, it appears now
 that I will not be involved in any of these meetings (sorry about that),
 but I need to get meeting notices out this week for August SWG 01 and
 for WG1 in September, if that is to be.

 Before concluding with the exchange of notes with Francoise, let me
 take a moment to explain my situation to any I may have missed.  I
 have accepted a recently-announced, voluntary "transition" incentive
 package from IBM, and my employment with the company ends on July 30.
 I do intend to continue working for a living (the package isn't THAT
 good!) but do not expect that involvement with standards will be
 included.  My apologies for the abruptness with which this has taken
 place, and the resulting effects on our meeting scheduling and work.
 I have enjoyed the associations with all of you, and will miss them.

 Best Regards,
 Charlie

 ____________________Note to Francoise with her replies______________

  Subject: Rep : SC29/WG12 and SC18/WG1 Meeting

  > Bon jour Francoise,
  >
  > WG1 concluded at its May meeting that the meeting with SC29/WG12 in
  > San Francisco in August, 1993 should be a meeting of WG1 Special
  > Working Group 01 (SWG 01).  SWG 01 is the group developing the
  > Multimedia and Hypermedia: Model and Framework (MHMF) Technical Report.
  > MHMF and MHEG are the areas of greatest common interest between WG12
  > and WG1.  Barry Shepherd is Rapporteur of SWG01, and Larry Welsch is
  > the Project Editor.

  Bonjour Charlie,
  A co-located meeting of MHEG and SWG1 (in charge of the TC on Multimedia
  Hypermedia Model/Framework) is what I expected from previous contacts
  with Barry Shepherd.

  > WG1 representation in the San Francisco meeting is constrained by
  > reductions of travel money, as well as other considerations such as
  > changes of employment.  At this time I am unable to predict the precise
  > number of WG1 people who will attend, although I expect it to be about 4
  > to 6.  I expect that Barry Shepherd and Larry Welsch will attend, as will
  > Tom Frost, Chair of SC18, and probably one or two more.  I will not be
  > there since I am leaving IBM as of July 30.  It appears that I will no
  > longer be involved in standards work after that date, although one never
  > knows.  I do anticipate continuing to work, I just don't know for whom
  > and doing what.
  >
  > The WG1 SWG 01 meeting will be for three days, August 9, 10 and 11.
  > Therefore, we request that WG12 experts plan to work with WG1 experts to
  > the maximum extent possible during that time.
  >
  > My understanding from Rita Brennan at Apple is that the meeting will
  > be at the Pan Pacific Hotel, phone +1 415 771 8600.
  >
  > I am very sorry that the joint work cannot proceed for the full week,
  > and that WG1 representation may not be as large as we had earlier
  > anticipated.  However, the key players from WG1 will be present, and
  > we are optimistic that the results will be very good and very
  > worthwhile.

  Charlie, we are all of us submitted to this kind of constraints (financial,
  management of internal priorities, etc ...).

  > What representation from WG12 do you anticipate will be working with
  > the WG1 representatives?

  I do not know at that time how many MHEG members will participate
  in the discussion with your WG.I have not yet prepared the detailed
  agenda of our meeting. We have a lot of technical issues to debate, and
  I think that we will need to split into sub groups to draft the corresponding
  amendements to our CD text. I anticipate that one sub group could join
  your meeting, and that may be on Wednesday afternoon, we could have
  a "plenary" session between MHEG and SWG1 to report on that point ?

  > Please be assured, and assure others, that the somewhat curtailed
  > meeting time does not represent any lessening of interest, but simply
  > cannot be avoided under the current circumstances.
  >
  > Since I will not be present at the meeting, and since I will be able to
  > devote very little time to standards activities over the next six weeks,
  > I will copy Tom, Barry, Larry and Rita Brennan on this note.
  >
  > Best wishes for a good and productive visit to the U.S.
  >
  > Charlie
  Isn't it a pity to know each other only through electronic mail !?
  I hope that we will have another opportunity to meet.
  Thank you for your kind collaboration,
  Best regards
  Francoise.

 _____________________End of Note_______________________________________

__