Subject: Proposal for a JTC 1 Business Team Pilot Project on Electronic Commerce

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:40:59 -0600

I want to call your attention to the document referenced in the title. It
has been circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies for a 60-day letter ballot. I
will shortly circulate the full text on this reflector since it is quite
small.

The problem I see is that JTC1 level "managers" are not competent to
determine appropriate requirements nor to appropriately scope the work. It
also seems to me that there are many areas within our traditional scope
(graphics and multimedia, presentation, etc.) that are of major importance
to electronic commerce. One very obvious one is the use of VRML in web
based services such as shopping, access to product specifications, etc.
This could be a major opportunity for us in SC24 to help out.

The question I pose to SC24 for discussion on this reflector is do we want
to make a major push to help in this area. If so, SC24-level NBs need to
aggressively work with their national JTC1-level counterparts to let them
know of our interest and we need to begin to discuss this and identify both
new work and existing specifications that we might try and bring in.

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------