Subject: SC22 Java Study Group

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 10:07:56 -0700

SC22 has a Java study group that I have been tracking for some time. They
are holding a meeting in the San Francisco area on 7 January and I plan to
attend. 

1) Is anyone else from SC24 interested in attending the meeting?

2) Is anyone interested in helping put together a SC24 input to the meeting
regarding Java graphics related APIs in particular that we can take in as a
liaison contribution?

3) Should we in SC24 start a similar study effort on those Java related
things that are within our scope?

4) Does anyone object to SC24 pursuing bringing Java APIs (windowing, 2D
and 2D graphics, media) into the ISO process? 

I am afraid that if we do not get immediately active in this arena then
either SC22 will take all the work as part of their "application
portability" charter or that it will go through ECMA, followed by an ISO
fast track (as JavaScript is doing.)

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------