Subject: Re: JTC1 Re-engineering documents

From: "Wolfgang Herzner OeFZS/Dep.IT +43 2254 780 3121" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 11:58:25 EST

Steve asked in SC24.233 in comments on JTC1's plans (SC24.234, SC24.236).
As far as I received, the Austrian position seems not to be very strong
with respect to SC24.  Generally, we agree with Steve's proposal 1, seeing
it mainly under the 'Functional areas' mentioned in SC24.234.

What we could add are well known facts (i.e. standards of other communities
like IETF or ITU are usually more accepted than ISO's, that coding and
protocol standards like HTML or MPEG, or http are more considered than
operational standards like PHIGS or IPI) which lead to the decreasing
importance of SC24.  As a consequence, any new constellation or architecture
which allows SC24 to represent its core interests should be acceptable.

Best regards
                Wolfgang Herzner
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Wolfgang R. Herzner
  Dep. Information Technology  (IT)
  Austrian Research Centre Seibersdorf
  A-2444 Seibersdorf

  tel: +43 2254 780 3121  (secr.: 3118)    fax: +43 2254 72133
  e-mail: [email-masked]               http://www.arcs.ac.at/
      or  PSI%0232-26197118::HERZNER       or   PSI%0232-26197119::HERZNER
  X.400:  C=CAT; A=ADA; P=ARCS; S=HERZNER
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------