Subject: JTC1 Re-engineering documents

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:53:04 -0700

I am separately forwarding to this reflector a set of very recent ( I got
them Friday) documents regarding JTC1 re-engineering. The gist of these
proposals is to do away with the present SC structure and substitute a set
of business groupings. Also, all projects that are not nearly finished and
that do not have 5 NBs who are actively participating are proposed for
cancellation.

I am forwarding as much of this as possible a TXT files.

I understand that JTC1 plans to act on these recommendations at its December
plenary and that implementation would be phased in over the next 9 months. 

I believe that we need to have some discussions on this reflector about
whether we (SC24) agree with this re-organization. If we don't, then we all
need to take immediate actions within our NBs to try and get the proposal
rejected or modified.

In my estimation, the proposal effectively does away with SC24 by merging us
into a group that is already much too large (SC29). As you may know, SC29
already has desires to take over SC24 work in VRML, device interfaces,
future graphical APIS, etc. as evidenced ny their current study work on
their next generation standards. Also, the JTC1 ad-hoc proposes taking our
language binding work and moving that into SC22. This is unworkable for very
obvious reasons.

I suggest that there would be at least two more effective re-organizations:

1) Group all with interests in presentation of, and interaction with,
information together. Leave the coded representations in a separate group
since there is little overlap of interest amongst the experts. Thus, I would
suggest combining SC24 with parts of SC18 (including WG 8 and WG9), SC22
(the application portability work) and SC29 (I'm unsure of the groups, but
it is all those interested in functional and interface specifications and
would include MHEG.)

2) Take the areas listed in (1) and combine them with IEC TC100 to form a
new TC (JTC 2) with a focus on Multimedia.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------