Subject: Golden Rules for Meetings

From: [email-masked] (Steve Carson)
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 16:01:16 -0500

With the next SC24 Plenary less than a month away I thought I would pass on
the following set of rules for meetings that was circulated in a recent
mailing from the IEC to its SC chairs. I hope our SC24 Convenors and
Rapporteurs will find this information useful:

Golden Rules for Meetings

Standardization is based on the consensus between parties. "Meetings" are a
priviledged mode of work to achieve such a consensus. People who
participate in meetings usually have different responsibilities. Their
viewpoints and expectations may differ. However, in order to be successful
some basic rules need to be respected by all participants in meetings.
These Golden Rules are reproduced below as they can be of help to YOU when
acting as chairman, convenor, expert, delegate or secretary. Please make
good use of them.

1. Prepare all meetings meticously:
   - Ensure timely notification of meetings.
   - Prepare and circulate agenda for meetings well in advance.
   - Are relevant documents at hand?
   - Is the meeting room suitably prepared and all materials available?

2. State clear objectives for meetings.

3. Adhere to agreed time scales.

4. Stick to the agenda.

5. Summarize discussions from time to time.

6. Listen! Don't interrupt!

7. Be to the point and keep it short.

8. Know when to say "NO", but offer alternatives.

9. State decisions arising from meetings and allocate responsibilities.

10. Follow-up on decisions and actions in line with target dates.

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
PO Box 8698
Las Cruces, NM 88006-8698 USA
---------------------------------------------------------