Subject: Electronic distribution of ISO working documents (fwd)

From: Chris Cartledge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 11:40:26 +0100 (BST)

For information
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TITLE: Message from the ISO Head of Marketing Regarding Policy on
Posting of ISO/IEC JTC 1 Subcommittee Documents on the Internet and
Licensing Agreement

ACTION:  All participants in the work of SC 21 are requested to note
the attached communication from ISO's Head of Marketing.

Participants in the work of SC 21 are reminded that documents under
development in SC 21 are the property of the subcommittee, and that
distribution of these documents is to be limited to circulation within
the subcommittee.  Any requests for increased circulation beyond what
is necessary for the development of the standard is subject to
approval by SC 21 at a plenary meeting or by postal ballot.

Participants in the work of SC 21 are furthermore reminded that
copyright is held by ISO and IEC on documents at the DIS stage and
beyond.  Any requests for free circulation of DISs or ISs must first
be approved by both ISO and IEC.

Participants in the work of SC 21 are therefore requested to consider
at an early stage in the development of a project whether making the
project available by electronic means outside of the subcommittee
membership is necessary, and to include a request for electronic
posting along with the recommendation to register as a CD.

Participants in the work of SC 21 are furthermore requested to note
that, in line with the above guidelines, ISO policy precludes the
posting of subcommittee documents in any type of electronic format
that is accessible by individuals who are not members of the
subcommittee.  Posting of a document to an FTP site is allowable, if
access to the site is controlled by password and after the ISO
"Availability and Conditions for Use" license agreement has been
signed.  (See attached copy.)

Any individual who has posted any subcommittee documents to a bulletin
board or other site that has unlimited access is requested to remove
the document from the bulletin board until such time as they have
requested and been granted permission to post the document.

---------------------------------- END -----------------------------